The Duck Thread

Lol definitely! Sometimes they resemble little piggies
smile.png
Tibbles likes to dive under the water sometimes also, it's adorable!
Sounds really good, I love to watch them swim and dive.

I hope so too, can you think of anything that has changed that you are doing? and what about your temps? very hot and humid where you are? just trying to get an idea of what it may be. Glad to hear they are some better. I doubt you'd find mold if your changing the shaving daily.
This is what I am beginning to think - too warm. Ducks pant when they are too hot.

Thanks A for bringing this back up we would love an update  Please.
Thanks A for bringing this back up we would love an update  Please.

My babies seem to be all better! :) I didn't get a chance to give them the ACV but the panting has gone away and I think you were right! I usually make their bathwater a little warm so maybe I made it a little too hot? But here's a picture of my babies making a mess with their bath water lol :)

My babies seem to be all better!
smile.png
I didn't get a chance to give them the ACV but the panting has gone away and I think you were right! I usually make their bathwater a little warm so maybe I made it a little too hot? But here's a picture of my babies making a mess with their bath water lol
smile.png

That's great news!! thank you for letting us know
big_smile.png

Are muscovy ducks more friendly than others? I have Black Cayugas and Black Swedish and I can't get near them without them freaking out. I got them when they were about 8 months old, I've had them for 3 months. I'd love to get them to eat out of my hand but they run from me. They won't even eat bread or treats I throw over the fence at them. Strictly layer feed and bugs. I know a woman who had muscovy ducks and we were talking once and that darn drake made such a ruckus until she picked him up. So funny. Just wondering if that breed is more friendly than others. I'd like to be able to interact with my ducks.
When I used to have Cayugas, they were always flighty and nervousy ducks. I switched to Muscovy and what a big difference! The Muscovy I have are not flighty at all...they do not even run from the dogs, just stare and hiss. They eat from my hand and will follow me to the food bin. Some are a bit impatient and will tug at my shorts or pants legs while I get their feed ready. They know when I get home and will run to the back door for a treat. They do not like being penned up too much, and will try to keep from going in, but so long as I can get the dominant drake to go in, everyone else follows right behind. All in all, it it has been much easier to interact with my Muscovy. I really enjoy them.

Hi everybody! I'm new to ducks, I have a whole herd of chickens though. Lol. My husband got me four ducks (and 13 chickens) as my anniversary present ( I know, sooo romantic) and I honestly have no idea what to do with them! They have a pool, but they're currently housed with my chickens. Can I free range them with the chickens? I stopped at TSC today and was told to get flock raiser because it has more of the B vitamins ducks need than the layer feed. Is this correct? The duckies are adorable, and I definately wanted to get some, but I REALLY wanted to do more research before actually getting them. And on top of everything else, all but one of them still has fluff on their backs and bums so I have no idea if these are male or female. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, if it ever stops raining.

Hello all! We are first timers to duck ownership. We have had our sweet girls since they hatched May 1st, now 3 months old. We have 2 welsh and 2 khaki's and next week 2 lovely runners that will be hatching! Yay! We live in Virginia and I want to do 2 things in order to be properly prepared. I want a duck first aid kit and a number for an experienced Vet that we can call. Can anyone help? We are located near the panhandle of WV can be in harpers ferry wv in minutes, Frederick md in 30 minutes, leesburg va in 45 minutes. Can anyone suggest a Vet and/or provide a list for a first aid kit? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom