The Duck Thread

This is what I found in a nest on 6-26. Very cold, shrink wrapped, barely moving, squished, wrong end pip:

-Kathy

Last edited:
This one wasn't quite right and couldn't stand until yesterday, but seems to be doing a little better today. Still shows no interest in drinking and eating, so I'm tubing fluids. Will start tubing baby bird food today. Four days old and I can see that it is dehydrated and will try to get a picture that shows what I can see.

Since it hasn't been able to walk properly I've had to keep it in the RCOM bator and I found that 95 is too warm, but 90 is too cool... seems to do best at 92-93. I'm not saying that this is what all duckings should be kept at, just that when they are ill like this one is, that sometimes they need something different than what you're used to using.

-Kathy

This one wasn't quite right and couldn't stand until yesterday, but seems to be doing a little better today. Still shows no interest in drinking and eating, so I'm tubing fluids. Will start tubing baby bird food today. Four days old and I can see that it is dehydrated and will try to get a picture that shows what I can see.

Since it hasn't been able to walk properly I've had to keep it in the RCOM bator and I found that 95 is too warm, but 90 is too cool... seems to do best at 92-93. I'm not saying that this is what all duckings should be kept at, just that when they are ill like this one is, that sometimes they need something different than what you're used to using.

-Kathy

Poor baby. Sounds like it is in good hands... best of luck!
Hydration must *always* be corrected first, and the only way to do that is to give *just* fluids.

-Kathy

I'd have to agree with that... I keep thinking, as humans, we can survive without food a lot longer than without water. I would assume most animals are similar. And also, when in the hospital, there are circumstances where "fluids only" are the doctors orders. Fluids must be circulated, whether it be water, or something medicinal in the water. But solids can be bad under certain circumstances. I don't have nearly the experience as you guys have with chicks/ducks/etc, I'm just thinking logically in my head, of what makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom