The Duck Thread

he(wishful thinking) was a rescue from the city near here. We've always wanted wood ducks too, so when my in laws boss found it abandoned running around in the street at only a few days old at most, she mentioned our property and he was more than happy for it to go to a good home near them. They get weekly updates from the in law when she comes up to baby sit too.
Hmmm well you are lucky! Anyway are you sure that's male?? I'm not doubting you I'm probably wrong. How old is he? Maybe just hasn't developed the colors yet.

Hmmm well you are lucky! Anyway are you sure that's male?? I'm not doubting you I'm probably wrong. How old is he? Maybe just hasn't developed the colors yet.
sorry to question you again but i think you may be in luck because juvenile males are very similar colors although their eyes will have turned red! Like I said I'm probably wrong but if you were hoping for a female you may be in luck

Here he is from jun 12th
I'm really just hoping for a drake, all of my other ducks have had to molt before there were huge differences. Maybe if I saw it next to other clutch mates it would be easier. I was unaware of the eyes changing color. That's something to look into thanks.

Here he is from jun 12th
I'm really just hoping for a drake, all of my other ducks have had to molt before there were huge differences. Maybe if I saw it next to other clutch mates it would be easier. I was unaware of the eyes changing color. That's something to look into thanks.
no problem I'm certainly no expert. But I'll repeat again you are awfully lucky to have a wood duck and you must be taking great care of it because I've read about how difficult wood ducks can be to take care of!

no problem I'm certainly no expert. But I'll repeat again you are awfully lucky to have a wood duck and you must be taking great care of it because I've read about how difficult wood ducks can be to take care of!

That's a lot of what I heard in the beginning. This little one is a trooper. Spends a lot of time on my shoulder and fearless through his cage when the 2nd hatch gets close. Happy he is healthy.

So far the ducks have laid 12 eggs. They are sitting in the nesting box waiting to be sat on. How many more until someone decides to sit?
That is the money question. Many ducks will never sit while other wait till there are 20+. Some will go broody with 3 eggs. However the more eggs you have the higher the likelyhood that they will not all hatch and mama won't be able to keep them all warm.

Last edited:
That is the money question. Many ducks will never sit while other wait till there are 20+. Some will go broody with 3 eggs. However the more eggs you have the higher the likelyhood that they will not all hatch and mama won't be able to keep them all warm.

There are 3 hens all laying in the same box. Its cute that some are "hidden" under the bedding lol

They fly wherever they want, but never far. I don't have to get them back. They mostly fly because they're able to fly and like to fly. At least some always fly to the pool or the pond when we let them out of the brooder after work. I keep thinking maybe I should get a video of that but never think to do it until it's already in progress.
Yay for them. I bet it feels good to be airborne like that. I am relieved the little puffers come back. Whew. I bet they are cute while they fly. Do they quack during flight? I've heard wild ducks do that. The image of a little flock of calls flying to your pond quacking or talking is too cute. One of these days you'll get that video. The timing will be right. Have you by any chance seen @Amykins Bean fly at a park she took her to? It is wild. Silly little Bean. She goes from being tubed as a baby to a bird that flies. Because as I know what probably none of you experienced duck owners don't know is that all ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks.
wink.png

Good morning from the desert, part of the flock getting their morning treat. They stopped to pose for a photo first. All of these are Muscovy's, the two on the bottom are black, on the top left is a black barred, on the right is the chocolate bronze. Hope everyone is starting their week off great!
Adorable!!!! Simply huggable!
I wish I could hug them.. The barred black & chocolate bronze fluff up their feathers at me when I go out to give them a treat..it's kinda funny..I might just chase them down and carry them around the neighborhood soon to show them that nothing bad will happen when they get back home..
Awww, beautiful! I don't have muscovies, but they are stunning!
agh, thanks.. The lady we got them from said she was working on the colors for 3 year's..
@City farm - precious! Thanks for sharing. Please give them all some love from me!
Now, If I mention your name they might come running over quicker.. I'll try it.. :frow

Back
Top Bottom