The Duck Thread

Thanks Julie and attimus
smile.png
Awe, you are welcome. Please keep posting stories and pics as your time permits.

My WH ducklings had their first swim a couple days ago when I moved them out of my workshop and into my coop, and I forgot to share pictures!

I suspect both are drakes, so I am hatching them up some girlfriends.

Almost every time I find a particular duck that catches my eye, turns out to be a WH.... Wonder what's in my future?!?!?

Get them! They are my favorite breed ever, and I chose them to breed because they are just so great. They are also critically endangered, so they need all the help they can get!

Get them! They are my favorite breed ever, and I chose them to breed because they are just so great. They are also critically endangered, so they need all the help they can get!

Hmmmm...... Perhaps next year!!! This year I'm finishing up the hatchings an sorting out family flock vs sale/meat flock.
How are they as a hearty bird? I'm in Maine, so to keep a healthy flock, they have to be hearty. I also need to consider weather they are a friendly/social bird... Time for some research!!!

Hmmmm...... Perhaps next year!!! This year I'm finishing up the hatchings an sorting out family flock vs sale/meat flock.
How are they as a hearty bird? I'm in Maine, so to keep a healthy flock, they have to be hearty. I also need to consider weather they are a friendly/social bird... Time for some research!!!

I'm in Vermont, and I've never had a problem with them in the weather, hot or cold. They're super friendly and docile too. Those little guys I posted up there come running to see me when I approach, whether I have treats or not.

I'm in Vermont, and I've never had a problem with them in the weather, hot or cold. They're super friendly and docile too. Those little guys I posted up there come running to see me when I approach, whether I have treats or not.

Your weather is identical to ours! What's your winter setup for them?

Your weather is identical to ours! What's your winter setup for them?

They actually live in this coop with my chickens:

No added heat. I cover most of the front with clear plastic to keep drafts out, leaving plenty of ventilation. I have three gallon heated water buckets that they have for the wintertime. That's it! Everything else is done the same as the rest of the year. I do shovel their run for them, of course!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom