The Duck Thread

Oh my gosh, those are so cute! Yes, I know they're noisy. We used to live in a place where people the next neighborhood over had peafowl, and we could hear the things screaming all the time like they were right next door.
Holy #$ap, they scream? Yikes. I saw ricebabyca's little baby on the scale and would not ever predict he could grow into a screamer. Are they kinda like quail when they grow up?

Holy #$ap, they scream?  Yikes.  I saw ricebabyca's little baby on the scale and would not ever predict he could grow into a screamer.  Are they kinda like quail when they grow up?

You've never heard of peafowl? Like peahens and peacocks? Here's my baby at about two weeks old:

They're not like quail :)

Last edited:
So we unfortunately had to totally re make our flock.

We will thankfully get to keep most of our original five ducks, all but the pekin who will still have a lovely life a few miles down the road from us and I can visit him.

We are only keeping two ancona girls, the rest also go with Marshmallow the Pekin to our friends. So if we decide to revisit our plan for anconas we will be able to. We will be adding three or four Muscovy girls to our flock. We just ended up with too many drakes and not enough space to get them all enough girls. Sad but we figured that would happen.

Here are two of the possible new Muscovies. If we think they are girls when we see them in person next week.

If not she has a few younger ones we can pick from.
Precious cuties. Glad the moves are gonna work out well.

Where do you get your hatching eggs?

I got these from a breeder right here on BYC whose ducks all came direct from holderread :) I got eight WH from holderread this year but for some reason they all died except for my two surviving ones, which I both suspect are drakes. I think perhaps the long shipping distance had something to do with it.

Peacocks are so pretty though. Have you ever head them at the zoo? That's about my only experience with them.
Thanks for the info Lamp, I had no idea they were actually peacocks. So, yes, I have seen them at the zoo. They are beautiful birds and come to think of it I have heard them shriek on TV. For some reason I assumed the little peafowl was a quail type bird. Heehee, not so.

You've never heard of peafowl? Like peahens and peacocks? Here's my baby at about two weeks old:

They're not like quail
smile.png
No, I have never heard of peafowl. I thought they were their own breed of bird separate from peacocks. Thanks for informing me. Yours are so cute. I love the big eyes. I am familiar with peacocks and thought nothing beyond them let alone separating their names into pea(cock), male and pea(hen), female. Fun learning new things on here.

Last edited:
No, I have never heard of peafowl.  I thought they were their own breed of bird separate from peacocks.  Thanks for informing me.  Yours are so cute.  I love the big eyes.  I am familiar with peacocks and thought nothing beyond them let alone separating their names into pea(cock), male and pea(hen), female.  Fun learning new things on here.

Thanks! That's an opal one, not a regular India Blue. Come to think of it I think most people don't realize they're called peafowl, they just think the whole species is called peacock :) I always crack up when I see breeders list them as 'peacock' hatching eggs. I'm like, alright, are you saying they'll all hatch into males or that your peacocks are laying eggs? Because if your peacocks are laying eggs, I could use some male birds that lay, lol.

Back
Top Bottom