The Duck Thread

Can ducks get lice and mite?

My flock ( chickens ) have mites and I treated them all and did everything. I dusted my ducks just to make sure as well but then I wondered if they even had to?
There feathering is different ( more oily than chickens ) and they Swim ( what a surprise
lol.png
). So does any one know?

Can ducks get lice and mite?

My flock ( chickens ) have mites and I treated them all and did everything. I dusted my ducks just to make sure as well but then I wondered if they even had to?
There feathering is different ( more oily than chickens ) and they Swim ( what a surprise:lol: ). So does any one know?

Seem to remember reading that they don't have the same troubles with lice/mites that chickens do. Anyone please correct me if that's wrong!

Seem to remember reading that they don't have the same troubles with lice/mites that chickens do. Anyone please correct me if that's wrong!
If ducks have plenty of swimming water they can stay pretty parasite free. We had an out break of mites in the chicken coop last fall the only thing separating the ducks from the chickens is a wall and screen door. not one mite on the duck side.

If ducks have plenty of swimming water they can stay pretty parasite free. We had an out break of mites in the chicken coop last fall the only thing separating the ducks from the chickens is a wall and screen door. not one mite on the duck side.
Ditto this is what I have heard, too. Duck can get mites sometimes, but I don't hear about it often.

Ditto this is what I have heard, too. Duck can get mites sometimes, but I don't hear about it often.

Thanks heaps, My ducks are in with my chickens so I think I will just do it to make sure. I can't really check my ducks for mites so may as well just do it.
Thanks again.

Hi everyone,
I just found this thread while duck searching the forums. I am raising my first two ducklings now. They are 4 weeks old today and getting in their feathers. I hate to say it but I find myself spending more time with the two ducks than my chickens. I really am starting to love those little guys. They take my heart every time they get this sweet look or cooing noise.I love my chickens they are my Ladies. But these ducklings are just sweeping me away. It is a good thing I got told we are capped out on animals right now or I would absolutely want more ducks instead of chickens. I do understand why they say it is good to have at least 2 of them. They need each other in their chicken filled world.
It is late here but in the morning I am going to have to find time to catch up on reading all the pages on this thread. I'm only up to page 5 right now.

Hi everyone. Looking for a bit of advice. I have bought some mandirin duck eggs and on day 7 of incubation. But still can not see anything when candiling... Am i jumping the gun thinking they are not fertile. Used to hatching chikens which are super fast sevelopers... But with the mandy eggs i can not see anything no veins no shadow nothing????

Hi everyone,
I just found this thread while duck searching the forums. I am raising my first two ducklings now. They are 4 weeks old today and getting in their feathers. I hate to say it but I find myself spending more time with the two ducks than my chickens. I really am starting to love those little guys. They take my heart every time they get this sweet look or cooing noise.I love my chickens they are my Ladies. But these ducklings are just sweeping me away. It is a good thing I got told we are capped out on animals right now or I would absolutely want more ducks instead of chickens. I do understand why they say it is good to have at least 2 of them. They need each other in their chicken filled world.
It is late here but in the morning I am going to have to find time to catch up on reading all the pages on this thread. I'm only up to page 5 right now.

AWWW! They are SO cute! Have wonderful fun with them!

Back
Top Bottom