The Duck Thread

Around 14 days. He met our parakeet and hissed at it a bit. From what i heard it is usually the drakes that do that.
I know sexing the ducklings is tricky. and it does not matter if it is male or female, we love it either way.
Also is there any way to file its nails? They're quie sharp, and soon enough they'll be proper talons
Do you have a muscovy? I wouldn't try trimming the nails there is alot of blood if you cut the quick. you could try filing I have never done it with any of mine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 heres a great link on raising and care of ducklings.
when you can post some pics we all love baby pics..

Last edited:
Do you have a muscovy? I wouldn't try trimming the nails there is alot of blood if you cut the quick. you could try filing I have never done it with any of mine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 heres a great link on raising and care of ducklings.

when you can post some pics we all love baby pics..

Yes, it has a bowl, but today he did not use it.
We are putting water right now, to try again.
No on the trimming. Got it.
It is just that it is being held and hugged a lot and sometimes we get scratched.
It gets loads of interaction and love, but a toy is a great idea.
Thank you for the links and all the info. You are so nice
Also, I will upload pictures very soon.
As a begginner duck mommy, I must say I did not expect it to be so loving and emotional

That is a great idea. Yes, i will do that.
Also, they need pebbles. When do i let it eat some?
We dont have any pre packed oned here, so I can go and find some amd clean them. Is there a spevific size? Pepper sized?

That is a great idea. Yes, i will do that.
Also, they need pebbles. When do i let it eat some?
We dont have any pre packed oned here, so I can go and find some amd clean them. Is there a spevific size? Pepper sized?
Grit not pebbles, or sand. can you find play sand the kind that you put in a kids sand box? or bird grit doesn't your parakeet have to have grit? mine did.

Day old magpies.

I JUST started raising a pair of ducks, and the female, a Cayuga, laid one egg this morning.. I don't know what to do, i need help. Also, how do i raise ducks, my big brother wants me to learn how to be more mature, so he gave me the ducks, the male is a Runner with a poof.. Please help!
-Thanks-
-Joesie-

I JUST started raising a pair of ducks, and the female, a Cayuga, laid one egg this morning.. I don't know what to do, i need help. Also, how do i raise ducks, my big brother wants me to learn how to be more mature, so he gave me the ducks, the male is a Runner with a poof.. Please help!
-Thanks-
-Joesie-
Sounds like you have adults, when she lays an egg take it and either eat it or bake something with it, you can use them the same as chicken eggs, Do you have a secure building for them to sleep in? Ducks make nice tasty dinner for alot of animals including the family dog or neighbors dogs so protecting them during the day and especially at night is very important, How long have you had them? they need clean bedding and plenty of clean fresh water deep enough to dunk their heads into to wash out their noses and eyes, never feed them without giving them adequate water to wash it down, they like water to bath in so a plastic kiddy pool will make them happy just try to keep the water clean which is really hard since they like to make it muddy in the first 15min you gi ve it to them, [just their nature] They need fresh nutrious feed appropriate for their ages, alot of us feed and all flock food and laying ducks need extra calcium and we use Oyster shell given separate from their feed. are they living inside a pen? or can they free range around your yard or acreage?

I don't want to eat the eggs . The have a coop to themselves, and i am trying to builde a large area with a kiddie pools and a smaller coop. They are really nice, so im trying my best! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom