The Duck Thread

I JUST started raising a pair of ducks, and the female, a Cayuga, laid one egg this morning.. I don't know what to do, i need help. Also, how do i raise ducks, my big brother wants me to learn how to be more mature, so he gave me the ducks, the male is a Runner with a poof.. Please help!
-Thanks-
-Joesie-
Congratulations on the ducks and the egg
big_smile.png
Welcome to the Duck Forum!

I have had my little flock of runners for three years, so I forget how much there is to learn at first. My first thought when I read your questions was "well, you protect them from predators, heat, cold, and illness, you provide them good bedding and fresh water and nutritious food, and you enjoy them."

It is a steep learning curve. It helps me to remind myself they depend on me for everything, so I need to be compassionate, and pay attention.

So.

Even if you wanted to hatch eggs (a major undertaking, I don't do it yet), the first several eggs it is not recommended to let those hatch. So, take the egg, put it in the fridge, we like to eat them.

She needs enough calcium in her diet. There are many ways to do that. If you have a pair, then a maintenance feed with a bowl of crushed oyster shell for her is a good start. If she starts laying soft eggs, then you need to decide whether to give them both layer feed (it may stress his internal organs to have so much calcium), or give her extra supplementation somehow, like giving her mashed peas with calcium gluconate in them as a special treat just for her.

Please tell us more, and we can answer your questions. Ducks are so loveable, most of us find them worth the effort of care.

And there are some funny duck stories to find here on the forum.

And we drool over photo's.

I don't want to eat the eggs . The have a coop to themselves, and i am trying to builde a large area with a kiddie pools and a smaller coop. They are really nice, so im trying my best! Thanks!
Sounds like your doing a good job, and like Amiga said it's a steep learnig curve, but ducks are very forgiving and as long as we supply their basic needs and keep them safe they can give us lots of entertainment and joy. when you get a chance maybe share some pics, we love pics. and if you don't want to eat hte eggs save them and give them to someone, they make the best brownies ever,

Last edited:
Thank you both so much! <3!!! I will try to get a picture on , but i like to leave them alone, they are really shy but loving, if i keep quiet and still, they come out to eat and drink water, i love them, and maybe i should give the eggy..(Even if i love my un-born ducky).. To my mother to make something.
I have a few questions:
1)How long should i wait for her to be able to take care of the eggs?(When i got the egg this morning, she didn't care, she just looked up at me, for food)
2)What should i feed them?(Any extra Vitamins?)

3)How often do they lay eggs?(Since i got them, this is the first!)

and finally

4)How must space do they need to be happy?
-Thanks!-
-Joesie-

I have 3 hens and 1 drake and yes mine started laying in October and laid eggs all winter long! I did no think they would lay until this spring! However I guess it was partially my fault,I gave them artificial lighting and kept them warm with heater,therefore basically fooling them into thinking they could and should! I was new at the game of raising ducks and did plenty of research but never came across this info! Hope this helps!
frow.gif

Oh it's no problem! Thanks y'all! It actually hasn't happened since that day I've just been watching it closely. I actually added another duck and goose which is working out really good! They're much more playful! I've been letting them out for a bit in the morning and until Dark when I get home from work. They absolutely LOVE it and they're so funny to watch! I'm sure glad I got these little guys... Or girls :) and thank you guys for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom