The Duck Thread

I'm so happy my 2 Campbell's have a amazing friendship with my chooks but I'm wondering if I but a drake will that change the way they are now?

I'm so happy my 2 Campbell's have a amazing friendship with my chooks but I'm wondering if I but a drake will that change the way they are now?
Short answer based on my experience - Yes. Any addition will change the flock chemistry. And there is no predicting which way it will change. It has taken over a year for us to be one flock after the addition of a buff trio that includes a drake (our first). And it remains to be seen if we can coexist peacefully once mating season begins in four months.

Before you add anyone, make sure you know how you will set up a separate space - for day and for night - for the new arrivals, and give extra time for cleanup and management for an extended period of time. It will save you all grief.

Also, drakes can seriously harm chooks by trying to mate with them.

Last edited:
.... Does anyone else have some sort of netting over the top that does not catch the snow? Help is gladly apreciated! Thanks -Hannah

Hi Hannah. Here in MI, snow load is def a concern. Any roof must have strong supports or else it will collapse. This being the case, I choose to have an open roofed pen. If you are concerned about predators, then I would invest in a line of electric fence along the top of the pen.

Pics from yesterday. Ended up with 6 drakes. Need to get rid of 5. I advertised thinking people would want to keep them as pets but someone actually wants 3 processed. So 3 down, 2 to go.

so does anyone put their ducks in a cage / coop at night? because I put mine in at night because I don't want animals to get them but I feel bad I got a new job so they don't get out for that long now especially since it gets dark early now so they only get a couple hours a day out of their cage

I put mine in their run and coop at night sometimes (very rare) they stay in most if the day if I've had to go out before dawn, but the room is plenty enough for the to scratch and sunbake and walk around mine is probably 10 meters long so if yours is anything like mine they should e happy enough :)

Hi Hannah. Here in MI, snow load is def a concern. Any roof must have strong supports or else it will collapse. This being the case, I choose to have an open roofed pen. If you are concerned about predators, then I would invest in a line of electric fence along the top of the pen.
Okay thank you! I think I'll go without a top for the winter and when summer comes I am expanding the pen so maybe I can figure out something by then. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom