The Duck Thread

I have 1 pekin duck I had a drake but we lost him to a dog attack a few weeks ago, my duck was also badly injured but has recovered. She moved into the coop with the chickens which is great and has now started laying an egg a day. If I get another duck in the spring will it be ok to bring in a baby pekin or 2 or should I get a little older birds?

Either way, you all will need to sort out introductions. If you adopt older birds, you know more about what you are getting, and I have introduced adult ducks to my flock twice and it works out. As my signature says, there are many deserving ducks that need a home.

How many do you have and what kind of shelter do they have? How deep is the bedding? Do they have water? What is the temperature in the shelter?
smile.png

It's -6 degrees out side will my ducks be ok?

It is -2 here and 0 in the coop. The chickens seem okay and my 3 female ducks but my poor little drake is shivering. There's 4" of pine shavings on the floor. I've never seen them burrow in straw but wondering if I should put some straw out there too for them.

Give them something that is dry, not moldy or very dusty, that will insulate them. I have been thinking about those hand warmers that are activated by opening the package, put a few of them wrapped tightly in a towel or old pillowcase to add some heat. If the drake is shivering, he needs to be warmer. He may be under the weather.

Give them something that is dry, not moldy or very dusty, that will insulate them. I have been thinking about those hand warmers that are activated by opening the package, put a few of them wrapped tightly in a towel or old pillowcase to add some heat. If the drake is shivering, he needs to be warmer. He may be under the weather.

Can I feed him some scrambled eggs? I am going to bring him into the basement.

Yes, just minimize the grease - it's hard on their tummies, I think. But eggs, yes, hard-cooked eggs are often fed to ducks.

Thanx. Will scramble him an egg and give him some peas. He's downstairs quacking up a storm! My poor bunny down there is like, 'geez, will you be quiet?!' The cats are like, "he's back again?"
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanx. Will scramble him an egg and give him some peas. He's downstairs quacking up a storm! My poor bunny down there is like, 'geez, will you be quiet?!' The cats are like, "he's back again?"
big_smile.png
He probably misses the girls they like to have their flock around them. Hope he is okay.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom