The Duck Thread

We are going to get the Cayuga tomorrow! Now should I put our lonely duck in coop with my hens and roo tonight? Or in other coop alone?

Well after 20 mins of hide n seek I was able to get him and put him in with the chickens. They were so loving to him today!
I'm sure he prefers to be with them more so than being on his own. They thrive on companionship ,he's going to love having his very own duck again. Just remember it will take some adjustments since they will be new to each other. How long has it been since you lost your other duck?

we lost our other duck 3 days ago.
Well I'm betting he would have felt pretty lost and afraid by himself, I'm glad you put him in with the chickens.

Are you just getting one duck? I'd really like to rec at least 2 because drakes can be so hormonal they can really over do it on breeding and wear just one duck down pretty fast. Plus with just one duck you still have the threat of him going after your hens, My drakes have 2-4 ducks between them and I have never had a problem with one of my drakes going after one of my hens. Thank goodness because they are all out together during the day.

Last edited:
he is now 8 months old and I have never seen him go after the hens. could be my rooster preventing that! I can only get the one female right now. $25 each. but in the spring we will get another female! thank you all so much! this really does help! I like to know things before doing anything!

we are getting another duck to keep our poor Frack company since losing our Frick
hit.gif
Should I get the same breed, or is it ok to get a different breed? should I get male or female? Thanks all!

When my drake was killed (Cayuga) that left 1 female Cayuga and 2 Black Swedish hens. They were all about 1.5 years old. I got a 7 month old Khaki Campbell drake and they harassed him for about two months before he finally manned-up. I had to keep them separate for a while because I was afraid they would hurt him. They get along fine now. I can't really tell if the Cayuga is louder than the Black Swedish. All the girls can get loud at one time or another.

Back
Top Bottom