The Duck Thread

One of my Black Swedish has been injured. Not sure what is wrong exactly. She is limping very badly. I think it is her hip. It is swollen at the hip; leg/foot seems fine. I can touch it and feel a big "egg" on her hip that wasn't there last night (she was injured last night too) so it is just now swelling I guess. Not sure if she dislocated the joint, broke her hip or what. She is eating and laid an egg this morning, but she can barely walk.
sad.png
Could she have an injury [wound] Have you looked up under the feathers real good? what do you think may have happened? could be she'll need a vet if it's a break or dislocation.

Hi guys! I'm thinking of getting some ducks to add to my little ranch. I have some questions though
1) Can you feed ducklings chick feed? (I was gong to put the ducklings in with the chicks and didn't want them to get sick if they eat some of the chicks feed)
2) what breed is best for beginners that want to show them
3) does a kiddie pool work well if I put it in there coop instead of digging out a small pond
4) what breed does best in hot climates? (I live in Arizona)
5) where the best place to order them online
Anything helps, thanks :)

Last edited:
One of my Black Swedish has been injured. Not sure what is wrong exactly. She is limping very badly. I think it is her hip. It is swollen at the hip; leg/foot seems fine. I can touch it and feel a big "egg" on her hip that wasn't there last night (she was injured last night too) so it is just now swelling I guess. Not sure if she dislocated the joint, broke her hip or what. She is eating and laid an egg this morning, but she can barely walk.
sad.png

Could she have an injury [wound] Have you looked up under the feathers real good? what do you think may have happened? could be she'll need a vet if it's a break or dislocation.

She seemed fine Friday night when I put them up. There are holes in the yard where they have been rooting for "yummies". Maybe as she was going in the duck house she walked in one of the holes and jarred herself. Or maybe somehow she banged it in the duck house over night. Not sure but I sure feel bad for her. I wish I could get it x-rayed so I knew what we were dealing with but I won't have a day off to go until next Sat. I touched the hip and she didn't flip out but I know it is hurting her; she isn't using it. No, I didn't really look thoroughly under all the feathers. She is so scared of me and just messing with her hip was traumatic for her. Will try tho.

Last edited:
She seemed fine Friday night when I put them up. There are holes in the yard where they have been rooting for "yummies". Maybe as she was going in the duck house she walked in one of the holes and jarred herself. Or maybe somehow she banged it in the duck house over night. Not sure but I sure feel bad for her. I wish I could get it x-rayed so I knew what we were dealing with but I won't have a day off to go until next Sat.
I'd put her in a small enclosed area to give her time to heal, if she is out running around trying to keep up with everyone she won't get that chance, if you have something like this maybe put a friend in with her for company. at least this would keep her off her leg and give it sometime to heal, but if dislocated it won't go back in by itself that will have to be done for her. you might try giving her some warm water therapy too but not letting her jump in or out.

So this april I will most likely get a male and female Muscovy and 1 male and 2 female welsummer chickens. right now my runners sleep in a 6ftx4ftx7ft (lxwxh) coop if I added the muscovies and the chickens each bird would have about 3 sq-ft. Is that enough for them to sleep happily in there?

Are you going to subdivide so you don't have problems for example, the Muscovy drake trying to mate with the runners? That size difference concerns me.

Same concern about the chickens.

Last edited:
Are you going to subdivide so you don't have problems for example, the Muscovy drake trying to mate with the runners? That size difference concerns me.

Same concern about the chickens.

I was going to separate the chickens from the ducks, but not the ducks. could muscovy hurt one of them that badly?

Back
Top Bottom