The Duck Thread

Hi everyone,

I'm new to ducks and have some questions. I've purchased Blue Swedish and have been reading about them. I have 5. That there are fewer or about 2500 in the U.S. ? Can that be right??

1. What is the average size of a brace of ducks kept by most folks?

2. Are the numbers low because most folks keep and assortment of ducks?

3. I notice that the Tractor Supply store mostly gets KC's and Pekins. Are they the most popular breeds?

I got these to help a friend who needed more folks to go in on her order, but didn't have time to research like I did with my chickens.

4. Would a coop with a dirt floor be better than one up off the ground?

5. My chickens have covered runs for winter outing, would ducks be okay with this type of set up? For others I snow blow a clearing and toss down some hay now and then.

Thanks,

Rancher, I now have ducks, Hicks

Hi everyone,

I'm new to ducks and have some questions. I've purchased Blue Swedish and have been reading about them. I have 5. That there are fewer or about 2500 in the U.S. ? Can that be right??

1. What is the average size of a brace of ducks kept by most folks?

2. Are the numbers low because most folks keep and assortment of ducks?

3. I notice that the Tractor Supply store mostly gets KC's and Pekins. Are they the most popular breeds?

I got these to help a friend who needed more folks to go in on her order, but didn't have time to research like I did with my chickens.

4. Would a coop with a dirt floor be better than one up off the ground?

5. My chickens have covered runs for winter outing, would ducks be okay with this type of set up? For others I snow blow a clearing and toss down some hay now and then.

Thanks,

Rancher, I now have ducks, Hicks

Hi Rancher!
My husband is from outside Syracuse!
I don't know the real answers to your questions, but I can give my opinion!
A lot of hatcheries carry blue & black Swedish so that estimate sounds rather low to me, but I don't know anything about the numbers.

1. I can't speak for other people, but I plan on keeping about 5 or 6. We started at 18 ducklings, we are down to 8 right now. You should keep at least 3 as they like to be in a flock. But much more than that I find to be extremely loud & messy!

2. The people I know like to keep 1 breed, personally I like an assortment so that's what I have.

3. KC's and Pekins are 2 of the best layers so that's probably why they have them. Ironically my TSC tends to always carry Swedish. Pekins are my favorite, but they are LOUD. LOUDEST ducks I've had.

4. Mine are in a dirt floor coop. My chickens are as well though. I had a coop they went up into, but they never used it, they just slept outside on the ground. So took that one out & had one with the dirt ground. I think it's much easier to keep clean.

5. I don't see what would be wrong with that setup. Just make sure they have a pool to swim in when it's warm enough. They need to be able to dunk their beaks down in water to clean out their nose. We don't get snow like you do so my coop is inside a pen (15ft by 25ft) but I didn't bother to cover it. Mine don't fly & no predators to bother them. Had a possum come in once, but he just ate their food. My ducks are too big for him to go after.

(can't see the coop in this pic, but that's their run)

Last edited:
Ducks in the pool, pot belly pig and chickens all out and having a good time!!

Back
Top Bottom