The Duck Thread

I just set my first ever batch of eggs in my first ever incubator (gatorbator). It is quite an exciting time. Now to wait...

Mom is a buff and dad is a runner:

Ok can somebody tell me what kind of ducks I have brought into the family. I got them as babies from the feed store. I love them. I named them Laverne and Shirley but I think Laverne is going to be Squiggy, since that little curl is coming up on his tail. Oh yes, he's the one with the little hat.

To me, looks like pet quality runner and crested Swedish. Cutie pies.

Ok can somebody tell me what kind of ducks I have brought into the family. I got them as babies from the feed store. I love them. I named them Laverne and Shirley but I think Laverne is going to be Squiggy, since that little curl is coming up on his tail. Oh yes, he's the one with the little hat.
Crested blk Swedish and hatchery Fawn and white Runner both beautiful love the goose and the NN roo. also
smile.png

Hello my ducks are 2 weeks old and my Pekins chest is naked so I thought maybe it pulled it out because it was to hot I don't know if that's right or not because my rouen still has his fuzz in I was wondering of anyone could give me advice
Btw I can see little areas where the start of her feathers would be could it be that she is just growing in her feathers? I've only had one duck before and I don't remember this happening

Last edited:
My Pekin hen lays one egg a day, but she will not sit on it or go broody. The Muscovies ( my favorites) start laying in the first days of April and give us a heavy constant supply of eggs until late October, then knock it off for the winter. Muscovies are very broody, excellent mothers, protective, teach the ducklings where to find food and water, to eat insects, molluscs, mice, grass, weeds, whatever they can swallow. We don't do anything at all with the eggs if we let the hen incubate, no brooders, heat lamps, any of that, and we don't need to touch the ducklings at all until they are fully feathered and we catch them to clip their wings.

Hello my ducks are 2 weeks old and my Pekins chest is naked so I thought maybe it pulled it out because it was to hot I don't know if that's right or not because my rouen still has his fuzz in I was wondering of anyone could give me advice
Btw I can see little areas where the start of her feathers would be could it be that she is just growing in her feathers? I've only had one duck before and I don't remember this happening
Your duckling maybe just losing it's fuzz and starting to get it's feathers, seems we notice it more on solid yellow ducklings. can you post a pic? and you mentioned it being too hot do you know what the temp is in your brooder? they can get over heated and it is not good for their health..
welcome-byc.gif
some info https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 make sure your ducklings can get away from the heat lamp.

Last edited:
I just set my first ever batch of eggs in my first ever incubator (gatorbator). It is quite an exciting time. Now to wait...

Mom is a buff and dad is a runner:
Well hopefully I get at least a few ducklings hatched from my first incubation. The mom in the picture, Tikki, disappeared last night
hit.gif
. I can't find any clues as to where she went. It doesn't look like there was a fight or anything, so I think she managed to clear the fence and couldn't figure out how to get back over. Hopefully she is still alive somewhere. She is a good forager so she could probably do okay out there.

Back
Top Bottom