The Duck Thread

question to my fellow duck owners : I have 2 pekin ducks which I thought for the last 2 years were a male and female but finally have come to the realization that their 2 males, just a very large male and very small male. they stick together 24-7 since I got them at 2 days old and free range during the day and live in the chicken coop at night. they've never been aggressive towards the chickens, but the last few months (since spring has sprung) they've been taking turns ruff housing/chaseing each other into the pond to mate. they do equally get on top of each other but the smaller males neck is completely bear and scabbed up. they freak when their separated but i'm not sure if there is a "deterrent" I could use or someone has a suggestion on cutting down the mateing tactics. ???? thanks for the help

question to my fellow duck owners : I have 2 pekin ducks which I thought for the last 2 years were a male and female but finally have come to the realization that their 2 males, just a very large male and very small male. they stick together 24-7 since I got them at 2 days old and free range during the day and live in the chicken coop at night. they've never been aggressive towards the chickens, but the last few months (since spring has sprung) they've been taking turns ruff housing/chaseing each other into the pond to mate. they do equally get on top of each other but the smaller males neck is completely bear and scabbed up. they freak when their separated but i'm not sure if there is a "deterrent" I could use or someone has a suggestion on cutting down the mateing tactics. ???? thanks for the help

Get a female??

My 2 male rabbits used to mate continuously until we added females...

I was starting to think it was just mine that didn't like nest boxes!

We have ducks that are 4 months old & haven't started laying yet, but before them we bought a "laying" duck from someone a few months back.  They said she was a year old, I have no idea.  Anyway, it was a good 2 months before she ever laid an egg, and it's always at night & in the middle of the run.  The past month we've been getting like 5-6 eggs a week, one every morning from her, but she hasn't laid in a week.  I know they are supposed to be seasonal layers (at least that's what he said), but a month worth of eggs doesn't seem like much.  Is that normal?  Should she start back up here soon?

Thanks!  Still a newbie to ducks!!!

Could she be hiding a nest from you?

Get a female??

My 2 male rabbits used to mate continuously until we added females...

If you want to end the drake mating and have the space/money/time to do so, definitely get some girls. However, keep in mind that the average hen-drake ratio is 2 or 3 hens for every drake. So you'd want a minimum of four females, but more than that is even better. The reason behind this is to 1) Help prevent drakes from fighting over hens, and 2) Keep the hens from getting their feathers torn and necks scabbed(but I have four - well, recently three - hens and one drake, and the backs of my girls' necks are bare; not scabbed, though).

If you were just wanting a couple more, you could separate the "couples" into different pens. One drake with one hen in each pen. Or, who knows, maybe your drakes are close enough that they wouldn't fight? Either way, they do seem quite amorous, haha.

I have 3 ducks, a rouen, pekin, and a Swedish blue. My rouen and pekin are quite the noise makers quacking loudly every time I call to them or they hear me coming. My Swedish to which I'm starting to think is a boy doesn't and never has quacked
he /she makes this soft airy whistle like sound. When the others quack and talk my Swedish talks along but it doesn't even sound like the same language. Should I be worried or is this normal?

I have 3 ducks, a rouen, pekin, and a Swedish blue. My rouen and pekin are quite the noise makers quacking loudly every time I call to them or they hear me coming. My Swedish to which I'm starting to think is a boy doesn't and never has quacked
he /she makes this soft airy whistle like sound. When the others quack and talk my Swedish talks along but it doesn't even sound like the same language. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Normal... for a drake. Sounds like you have a very handsome boy there.

Don't they sound funny? I never knew that drakes sounded so different until last year when we got our first ducks. They are always a joy to listen to and to watch.

....it worries me a bit because I have baby Cayuga ducks as well that arnt in the coop yet, and their 1 male and 1 female and I deff don't want all the guys ganging up on her one day. I guess ill have to either figure out separate living spaces or adding a few females. :/ dang boys :) thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom