The Duck Thread

Quick question. One of my girls is losing a lot of feathers and down. She as a little bold spot on her side that is getting bigger. Could this be feather Mites causing this? If so how would I go about getting rid of them?
Might just be molt too, here is a link that shows what to look for, does she have swim water all the time? . How about a drake/ they can pull out feathers when mating.

http://www.grit.com/animals/poultry...tion-treatment-in-your-backyard-chickens.aspx

She bathes regularly. There are no drakes kept with them. On hot days they just kind of float in the pool Which I empty and clean every 3 days. Thank you for the link by the way!.

So, I was given this duck. The old owner said it just started acting funny, falling down when walking, etc. I noticed the head wound the same day I got him - I'm assuming the other birds he grew up with had been picking on him - and I've separated him from the rest of the flock and have been giving him daily baths and feeding him the rickets diet, thinking it was a combo of rickets and pain from the head injury.

The head injury looks tons better, but today I noticed him biting at the spot on his chest. Here is a pic of the head injury, and then the chest injury.

At this point, I'm not sure WHAT to do about this duck. I've had him for about a month now, and he just doesn't seem to be getting any better. He was free, and I've worked really hard trying to get him healthy. Any suggestions or knowledge on what is going on would be appreciated.

So I just got this duck and I think it's a blue runner but I'm still not sure. Any ideas?

It's rolled oats, honey, grated apple, a cooked egg yolk, yogurt, and a drop of multi-vitamin.
He needs a complete feed like you buy at a feed store or TSC, Is he actually eating all the above? I have never been able to get my ducks to eat yogurt-apple- or egg yolk. I do use whole oats in their feed. He needs some extra nutrients to help him heal. Do you think he is a crested duck and someone[ducks] pulled all the feathers out? Poor thing is it drake or duck? as for it's wounds, I'd clip the feather some around the chest wound and clean real good with betadine or Epsom salt water then put Neo sporin on both places. and your really going to have to watch for flies because they will lay eggs in the wounds and wreck havoc they can even kill this duck. I commend you on trying to help and hopefully with a little more work and TLC you'll get it healed up. I would keep the duck inside away from flies till wounds are closed up. There is also a product called Veterycin spray from wounds and infections that is great for something like this. Please keep us updated on his progress.

He needs a complete feed like you buy at a feed store or TSC, Is he actually eating all the above? I have never been able to get my ducks to eat yogurt-apple- or egg yolk. I do use whole oats in their feed. He needs some extra nutrients to help him heal. Do you think he is a crested duck and someone[ducks] pulled all the feathers out? Poor thing is it drake or duck? as for it's wounds, I'd clip the feather some around the chest wound and clean real good with betadine or Epsom salt water then put Neo sporin on both places. and your really going to have to watch for flies because they will lay eggs in the wounds and wreck havoc they can even kill this duck. I commend you on trying to help and hopefully with a little more work and TLC you'll get it healed up. I would keep the duck inside away from flies till wounds are closed up. There is also a product called Veterycin spray from wounds and infections that is great for something like this. Please keep us updated on his
I have no idea if he's crested. The other two ducks he was with don't have crests. I'm not sure if it's a drake or a duck. How do I tell the difference? We have cattle, so I have betadine and epsom salt water. I'll use some cream on him as well. As far as his feed, he eats the fire out of it. I mix it all together really well and he scoops it up like he hasn't eaten in years.

I just don't know at what point it's "too bad", you know? I've never dealt with this.

Back
Top Bottom