The Duck Thread

welsh harlequin and khaki campbell's are the best egg layers and runners lay well but most ducks will lay decently...i have 3 cayuga females and i get 3 eggs every day from them...so choose which ever breed or breeds you like the look of

Are there any breeds I should stay away from?

They won't overbreed? What is the calmest, most mellow, duck breed?
they could but then they also may not depends on the drake...i have 1 drake and 3 girls and this number works well with my ducks. my cayuga and the welsh harlequin i had were/are very calm ducks

hello! so I had two ducks Luna and Quincy and Luna died about a year back so Quincy has been living on his own with me but during the day I can't be there with him. so I was thinking about getting a baby duckling for him. he was the alpha male of the two so would he hurt the baby? I would want to make sure nothing happened so they wouldn't be left alone in the beginning. just some thoughts
You'd probably want to raise the baby separately, at least until he was as big as Quincy. An adult drake can do a lot of damage to a duckling, or even kill it, in a very short time. Have you thought about getting another adult duck? A girl for him?

I just candelled the eggs,

chickens: I saw 9 moving, and 1 I wasn't sure about, and I thought 11 were infertile, but I cracked them open, and 2 were still alive, I saw their hearts moving, it was very sad, I didn't think they were alive :'(

Duck: he is moving quite a bit :)

Geese: 5 are growing, and 3 were infertile

Sorry about your chicks, but yay for the others!

hello! so I had two ducks Luna and Quincy and Luna died about a year back so Quincy has been living on his own with me but during the day I can't be there with him. so I was thinking about getting a baby duckling for him. he was the alpha male of the two so would he hurt the baby? I would want to make sure nothing happened so they wouldn't be left alone in the beginning. just some thoughts

If it were me, I would not mix babies with adults unless I was putting newborns under a broody hen. I would try to find another adult for your boy to have a friend.

Okay I have a question. I think I have a boy and a girl, but I have yet to hear anyone quack. They are a month old. I'm pretty sure the boy is a boy, because he is quieter and a little bit bigger than the other duckling. He says "peef" instead of peep, in a softer voice. The second duckling is always chattering or saying "PEEP! PEEP! PEEP!" and is louder than the other duckling. Does anyone think that this could be an indicator that I have a girl?

Please help! My duckling was attacked by chickens and might die, check out the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/967358/help-please-duckling-attacked-by-chickens-critical-danger
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom