The Duck Thread

good luck with hatching Desiree.

I am thinking I might have to separate my 2 ducks as they are kinda glued to the chickens, but there is a drake and a hen even though different breeds of ducks the hen is plucking feathers from the chickens now that the younger mallard is maturing. Boy he's getting some beautiful coloring.

good luck with hatching Desiree.

I am thinking I might have to separate my 2 ducks as they are kinda glued to the chickens, but there is a drake and a hen even though different breeds of ducks the hen is plucking feathers from the chickens now that the younger mallard is maturing. Boy he's getting some beautiful coloring.
I would then it's either the chickens picking on the ducks or the ducks picking on the chickens, I feel unless free ranging time they need to have their own space.

I have a question. My ducks fenced in area has no grass left, I was wondering if it's safe to put grass seed down?? I just don't want them to get sick if they eat any of it

I have a question. My ducks fenced in area has no grass left, I was wondering if it's safe to put grass seed down?? I just don't want them to get sick if they eat any of it
You will have to read the package of the seeds you are thinking about. Anything from the big box stores all say on the package that they are treated and not for grazing. You will need to buy grazing grass and I haven't see anything that would work for less than an acre and they are pricey. Amazon has some 10lb packages of grazing grass but with shipping it came out to more than what I was willing to spend.

How about buying a few pieces of sod grass? They come in 2'x3' sections. That's what I'm considering when my chicken yard becomes bare. Btw, I'm new to this, so let me know if the Ducks will just chomp it up!

You will have to read the package of the seeds you are thinking about.  Anything from the big box stores all say on the package that they are treated and not for grazing.  You will need to buy grazing grass and I haven't see anything that would work for less than an acre and they are pricey.  Amazon has some 10lb packages of grazing grass but with shipping it came out to more than what I was willing to spend.
Great thanks for the advice. I'm new to this and don't want to do anything to hurt them. They are part of our family now

Thanks @Julie Bird .
1f60a.png
I'm pretty darn blessed. My girls and DH are great.

I don't have much to complain about so I guess the feathered bullies are an easy target!
1f609.png

So get this! Talk about not backing down from a fight.... There's a ~6-8mos kitty that pokes around another neighbor's shed. He was out tonight and never having met him, I was watching him like a hawk. He was just observing like what the heck are those?! The ducks saw him and before I could jump up (sitting and chatting with friends) and stop them, they were off and ready to put a beat down on that kitty! I actually felt bad for the him! He's super sweet (for now) and gave me that big eyed look like Puss and Boots from Shrek. He had no intention of starting anything with them. Having herded them back to our yard, he came up to me making little peep meows. He flopped onto his back so I could pet his belly. Bad. Idea. Tot saw him and thought SHE should pet him. He left a few hairs behind. From his behind. Devil Duck!!
1f608.png
Lmbo! Poor little guy.

And before anybody freaks that I would ignore my ducks around a cat, ask @Miss Lydia , I'm a freak about predators. Was actually right next to them the whole time, but that makes for a boring story. The ducks were in full on UFC mode and I shooed them back into our yard 3 times before the kitty made his big mistake. Lol.

They also have our indoor cat TERRIFIED! When they were watching TV with my daughter, he walked up to them in awe. Again, I was right there. TOT (big surprise) looked him in the face, jumped at him and popped him on the nose! She did it again when he went out in the garage with me to do something in the brooder. He wants nothing to do with them. We may rename her Rousey!
Aaaw, suzy4027, you're welcome. You have a sweet family there. Between your family and birds you have to have all sorts of fun.

That is an amazing story about Tot being so aggressive towards the kitty. Is it a territory thing for her? I am actually glad she is a tough bird. I know you are vigilant about where your birds are and who is near them but it seems she can really take care of herself. I wonder if the little kitty will ever come around again after losing a few hairs. And then the deal with your own kitty. Wow. Does Tot do the head down running forward hissing thing?

HELP!!!!
I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what breed my four month old ducks are. A family friend knew I was looking for Welsh Harlequin ducks so he bought 3 "welsh harlequin" ducklings from an animal auction and dropped them off while I was at work. They looked like Silver Appleyard ducklings. This is them the day he dropped them off.

As they aged they got darker and darker.

Then their colour started resembling more of a Khaki Cambell.

As of a few days ago, they're started to go blue on their wings.

We have since gotten Welsh Harlequins from a reputable source.
So my questions is...WHAT KIND OF DUCKS ARE THESE?
They're beautiful and I love their personalities but I would just like to know what they are.
They look like Rouen's to me now but they didn't as babies. They looked like Silver Appleyards as babies but now they don't. In between they looked like Khaki Cambell's. I'm so confused lol. Maybe they're a cross? Any ideas?!
I don't know but they are extremely cute. Love the little face of the one in the cage.

Back
Top Bottom