The Duck Thread

Ok thank you... I'm new with ducks... Here's a pic of there cage
If you have Eagles and large birds of prey it really needs to have a net over it. Do they also sleep in there at night? If so you are going to have to really beef up your security or look into locking them up at night. Chicken wire is to keep poultry in not animals out. They are super cute! Mine eat the flys and ants. We finally don't have any fire ants in the yard due to the ducks!

Last edited:
If you have Eagles and large birds of prey it really needs to have a net over it. Do they also sleep in there at night? If so you are going to have to really beef up your security or look into locking them up at night. Chicken wire is to keep poultry in not animals out. They are super cute! Mine eat the flys and ants. We finally don't have any fire ants in the yard due to the ducks!

Yes they sleep there at night and we have no net but at night they seem fine... My ducks don't eat the flies or ants so there little quack shack is covered with them

Last edited:

Yes they sleep there at night and we have no net but at night they seem fine... My ducks don't eat the flies or ants so there little quack shack is covered with them

From what I can see of your current set up, you run the risk of most, if not all, predators being able to get to your ducks. Raccoons, foxes, etc are more active at night. A duck sleeping against the fence could be a quick victim. Also, I can't tell what type of fencing that is, but some animals can actually get through chicken wire, for example. The ducks should be shut in a secure shelter at night and have protection from overhead predators if they're outside unsupervised for any amount of time. You might check out some of the Coop threads/pictures for good examples of protective set ups.

Last edited:
From what I can see of your current set up, you run the risk of most, if not all, predators being able to get to your ducks.  Raccoons, foxes, etc are more active at night.  A duck sleeping against the fence could be a quick victim.  Also, I can't tell what type of fencing that is, but some animals can actually get through chicken wire, for example.  The ducks should be shut in a secure shelter at night and have protection from overhead predators if they're outside unsupervised for any amount of time.  You might check out some of the Coop threads/pictures for good examples of protective set ups.

There little house is covered on all sides I know it's not safe but we don't have very much room in the back yard and not very much wood to build a big sheather if you know a place around Indiana or like Fort Wayne then let me know

Back
Top Bottom