The Duck Thread

Grrr this is a tough one. I would say let's tie her off so that the infection doesn't get the best of her but I'm afraid to attempt to because shes got such a wide open space with her belly botton. She'll have this huge hole there and thar can just cause more problems. Grrr she is making the choice very vey difficult.
I do think if you have some antibiotics perhaps lets get her started on it. Maybe maybe it would help. But water is going to be her number one priority right now.

What about letting it dry....or as gruesome as it sounds, opening the sac to let it empty, then tying it off? I'm grasping at straws here.

How much brewers yeast should I add to my 2 week old ducklings water? I've been using nutridrench but I guess it's not enough niacin should I add a pill to a gallon of water? I've noticed stumbling and limping so we rushed and got brewers yeast and poly vi sol
if your 2 week old duckling is eating good I's sprinkle the Brewers yeast over the feed. Not sure how well putting it in water will do, 125 mgs to 1 gal of water is the niacin eq. make sure plain niacin but use one or the other not both poly Vi sol with out iron I hope but don't over do on all of this or you may end up with more problems like over dosing. if a niacin dif use either the niacin pill or brewers yeast and leave off the poly.for now.

I
What do you mean Split?  can you show me???
tried to photograph it. Doesn't show up. Nothing oozes or comes out. No odor. The little white dot on the side of the sac seems to be where the cord was.

Do you happen to have Vetericyn wound & infection treatment.. It is a jel spray.. Look it up, it is a great thing to have on hand.. Not that this would help at this point.. On the label it says use to treat or prevent ring worm, thrush, eye infections, E. Coli, strep & staph (MRSA) just to name a few..
Praying..

What about letting it dry....or as gruesome as it sounds, opening the sac to let it empty, then tying it off? I'm grasping at straws here.

Can't pop it if you do its all going to drain out and will kill her. If we tie it off it will at least stop any further flowing and die off but man so risky she's made this difficult. It would be like what I described earlier about rubber banding a dogs tail only we wouldn't use a rubber band more like thread or string.

The problem with it is once she's tied off and we wait for all circulation to be blocked we have no room to cut the sack off and leaving the string on. There's no room for it

I had to do it once with one of my ducks he got this weird lump and he was getting crippled couldn't walk so I tied it off then twisted the lump and it popes right off no blood at all in her case you can see veins slowly disappearing and the infection taken over its not moving very fast.

Do u have any antibiotics?? Because even if we tie her off will have to give her some.

@Lacrystol well, here she is!

Wow, I am so happy she is still hanging in there.. Catching up on post finally..

Its poly vi sol without iron. We got brewers yeast nit niacin I read either will help, I was adding nutridrench since it has niacin but the duckling has started acting lame. I adore this duckling it was given to me the day it hatched I really want to help it be able to walk again. I have to moisten the feed to get it to eat

Very pretty egg assortment

Nice. Do you eat the dove eggs too?

No I cook them in with the rest of our old egg's for our dog's..

That picture you posted is one of the nicest I've seen... Keep that around and enter it in one of the BYC photo contests.

-Kathy

Agh, how very nice of you!! It just so happen I had them all at one time.. Honestly, I'm not good at entering photo contests or any contest.. But thank you.. Just to many instructions.. I can hit the quote button and what not..

We can try drying it up, let's get her out of the cup and lay her down on her feet at the bottom of the Bator lay a wash cloth or a towel down something soft. As long as she's not wet she can't stick to it. Will give her two hours and the. Send a pic let's see if it has made just a slight difference.

Its poly vi sol without iron. We got brewers yeast nit niacin I read either will help, I was adding nutridrench since it has niacin but the duckling has started acting lame. I adore this duckling it was given to me the day it hatched I really want to help it be able to walk again. I have to moisten the feed to get it to eat

Polyvisol is great for chickens but no so much with ducks. I would work with the Brewers yeast. Ducks need about 150mg. You may want to increase that just a tab to 200 the first few days if she or he is showing signs of lameness. You may want to examine her legs as well for any swelling if by chance she has slipped tendon Brewers yeast isnt going to help. Show us a pic with the legs dangling down. Is it both legs or just one. Did it get injured or just started limping??

Back
Top Bottom