The Duck Thread

Here is Amy, River, and Rose
1f60a.png

My DH brought home 2 ducklings to live with our chicks and they look just like your dark colored baby with the light breast. Do you know what type of duck that is?

Do you have a thermometer that you can put inside the container with her? Depending on her age (we will guess at this point that she is just a few days old) she may need to have the temp around 90 degrees. Make sure there are no drafts on her as they can make her very ill. Put something in with her (small stuffed toy) for her to cuddle up with. Also, do you have a small mirror that you can put in with her so she can see herself and interact with that "virtual" duck? If so make sure there are no sharp edges and that it can not fall over on her if she pecks at it.

Ducklings grow faster than chicks so the aquarium may not be big enough soon. Also, as she grows, and if she is alone and you are her only companion, she may try to jump out of the aquarium in order to be with you. So, get some sort of screen that you can put on top of the aquarium that will provide ventilation but be heavy enough that she can not move it.

If she is going to grow up as a lone duck you really need to interact with her a lot more than you would with a puppy or kitten. That is going to be a big chore for a 14 year old so make sure you are ready to dedicate that sort of time and effort. She will cry when you are not around so be prepared for that as well. 

If there is a way you can do it post a picture of her when you get the chance...and, good luck with your new friend.
Sense he/she is on my dresser there is a mirror behind it. She/he likes looking in it! And I'm goin to put a little stuffed bear in there with him/her too!

Sense he/she is on my dresser there is a mirror behind it. She/he likes looking in it! And I'm goin to put a little stuffed bear in there with him/her too!
The pictures are great. I am not that good at guessing breeds so I won't even try at this point. She (I will call her a she until proved otherwise) looks to be a good deal older that just a few days so that is probably a good thing. One thing you need to prepare yourself for since this is your first duck is their mess. They are messier than chickens and usually what goes in a duck comes out of the duck within about 20 minutes. So you may have to clean her space often. Also, ducks mess can make quite an odor and if your parents are not sure about even have her you will really want to keep her space clean which may involve scooping out her mess (like a cat's litter box) several times a day. Keep us posted on how things go and if there are any problems be sure to ask us right away.

The pictures are great. I am not that good at guessing breeds so I won't even try at this point. She (I will call her a she until proved otherwise) looks to be a good deal older that just a few days so that is probably a good thing. One thing you need to prepare yourself for since this is your first duck is their mess. They are messier than chickens and usually what goes in a duck comes out of the duck within about 20 minutes. So you may have to clean her space often. Also, ducks mess can make quite an odor and if your parents are not sure about even have her you will really want to keep her space clean which may involve scooping out her mess (like a cat's litter box) several times a day. Keep us posted on how things go and if there are any problems be sure to ask us right away.
Thank you! And I will for sure! She seems to like it. And also is there any way to find out the gender?

They look to be doing fine. Besides the waterer in the picture do they have some water they can actually stick their face in completely? They need that in order to clean their nares with.

Yes if you look at the very bottom of the last picture you can see a white rim. It's deep enough they can stick their whole beak in.

Back
Top Bottom