The Duck Thread

quote name="DoctorWhoDucks" url="/t/737292/the-duck-thread/7890#post_15503915"]Well we just got done with letting the duckies play outside in their pool! Picture will come soon! One question tho...when they were all in the pool they all three stopped and turned their head to the side and just stared at us, it creeped me out and scared me a little, they wouldn't respond then just as sudden as they started they stopped and acting like nothing happend! Is this normal?[/quote]
Mine do that when they are looking and listening

quote name="DoctorWhoDucks" url="/t/737292/the-duck-thread/7890#post_15503915"]Well we just got done with letting the duckies play outside in their pool! Picture will come soon! One question tho...when they were all in the pool they all three stopped and turned their head to the side and just stared at us, it creeped me out and scared me a little, they wouldn't respond then just as sudden as they started they stopped and acting like nothing happend! Is this normal?

Mine do that when they are looking and listening[/quote]

Well I'm glad it's a normal thing but it's was funny yet creepy at the same time! lol

Trying to get as many Opinions as I can. Thinking of getting ducks in a few days, what kind of duck would you recommend for a 2ac place with horses, lots of goats and chickens and no pond. would love some eggs but not a big deal, would like something that likes to eat bugs like those pesky biters!!
and do they require a special feed? Would a kiddy pool be enough for them? What kind of housing would say 4 of them need and how much room? What about winter do they need heat or are they ok in the cold?
Sorry about all the questions, I am going to try and research them but just not finding the time and running out of time to make up our minds, We have till Sunday.
Thank You in advance for any and all replies.

Since you have so many geese I need your opinion. We have only 1 goose-a very large Toulouse gander. He is a rescue and in the beginning a quiet gentle soul. I've written about him here before and you may have already given me some advice. Here's the problem. He has attacked me 3 times when I take his food out there. He has bitten me and if he knocks me down I'm in for some serious damage. It hurts and I'm quite bruised from the bites. Now he has started to attack my fiance as well. It's only when he sees us with his food, I think. I say that bc I am afraid of him now and will no longer interact with him like I used to. I thought maybe he needed a girl goose but I called a man we bought our ducks and my Americauna from to see if he might have a large female for sale. He doesn't but he said NOT to get my gander a partner bc he could become more aggressive with us as he will then be protective of his lady goose. He told me to buy pepper spry and spray him if he starts to attack again and this will stop him. I can't bring myself to do that. I just don't feel it's humane and probably not safe for him either to spray something like that in his face. If I'm wrong, please tell me. Someone here, maybe it was you, suggested spraying him with water, but that is not going to work bc he loves being sprayed nightly with the hose. I need help with him otherwise he's going to have to go in the freezer. I'm thinking that this was why he was abandoned to begin with now.Can you offer me any other suggestions? We like him very much but I can't keep any animal that is vicious with us.Thank you.
Some suggestions that may help. First, you are going to have to get over your fear. He can not really harm you though what he does may hurt.

1. NEVER turn your back on him, it places him in a position where he can attack
2. Get and carry a stick. I use the handle of a shovel. DO NOT hit him but use it to redirect him. You can use it to push him away by vertically pushing it against his neck or body. You are not trying to hurt him, just redirect him.
3. When walking and trying to direct him just swing the stick back and forth like the pendulum of a clock. He can see it but can not figure out how to get past it.
4. Try putting his food out while he is confined elsewhere then let him in to the food but DO NOT walk away from him with your back to him.
5. Spraying water will not work with my geese as they, like yours, enjoy the spray too much

Geese are flocking birds and he probably does need a goose companion. DO NOT get him a female companion if he is already aggressive toward you. If you can find a male goose about the same age and size you might try. There will be fighting at first to establish who is boss and you may find they can not be together and find yourself stuck with two geese. So think carefully about it.

Good luck to you. You really have a challenge ahead of you and the only solution may be, as you put it, the freezer. I hope not, I would rather him be rehomed if possible.

Back
Top Bottom