The Duck Thread

Ours are 17 weeks and only get maybe a foot in the air for about 4-6 feet in distance

Oh wow, thanks. I'm waiting to release them to the pond once they can fly. Guess it will be a while.

Also, I have another question. Once they are adults, I know I'm supposed to give the hens layer feed because of the calcium for eggs. But does that mean I have to feed my drake completely separate? And how am I supposed to keep them from eating each other if that's the case? They will be free in the yard and pond at that point so I will just be putting the feed out for them. I don't know what to do.

Oh wow, thanks. I'm waiting to release them to the pond once they can fly. Guess it will be a while.

Also, I have another question. Once they are adults, I know I'm supposed to give the hens layer feed because of the calcium for eggs. But does that mean I have to feed my drake completely separate? And how am I supposed to keep them from eating each other if that's the case? They will be free in the yard and pond at that point so I will just be putting the feed out for them. I don't know what to do.

This is our first time with ducks, so I dont the answer. I assume it would be fine for the drakes as well. I am curious of the answer.

Ours love lettuce & cabbage. Wont touch bananas or anything not green. But every bird is different
I read up on google that most ducks like carrots but they are not the best to feed them but it won't hurt them if you do every now and then! And might I say my duck likes carrots a lot! Lol

I will for sure! Can I feed him slices of carrots? Or could those cause problems?
Ducks do not have a crop like chickens so they may not be able to digest something as hard as a carrot. My ducks love peas and romaine lettuce. They are pretty fond of watermelon and fresh corn also. Also, ducks are foragers so they enjoy a bug now and then. If you can catch a cricket or grasshopper and put it in with Stew he/she will really entertain you catching it and having it for a snack. But, check with your mother before you bring bugs into the house.

Ducks do not have a crop like chickens so they may not be able to digest something as hard as a carrot. My ducks love peas and romaine lettuce. They are pretty fond of watermelon and fresh corn also. Also, ducks are foragers so they enjoy a bug now and then. If you can catch a cricket or grasshopper and put it in with Stew he/she will really entertain you catching it and having it for a snack. But, check with your mother before you bring bugs into the house.

Gosh yeah mine love bug catching... Flies, spiders and moths that go into their pen beware! And I dug for a few worms and gave them that. I saw a cricket in there the other day so I bet they get the occasional cricket as well. But, yeah, I'm with you jtn mine love peas and romaine lettuce!

Back
Top Bottom