The Duck Thread

do they fly far and can you get them back OK?

They fly wherever they want, but never far. I don't have to get them back. They mostly fly because they're able to fly and like to fly. At least some always fly to the pool or the pond when we let them out of the brooder after work. I keep thinking maybe I should get a video of that but never think to do it until it's already in progress.

My mallards love flying too but will walk everywhere with the ones that can't. Thought for sure they were a goner one day when they flew across the property away from the pond up the hill but they just wanted to go for a quick loop around the place and came circling right back. Not sure whats gonna happen with the wood duck but my hopes are he'll stick around the same.
Not a big fan of clipping wings.

My mallards love flying too but will walk everywhere with the ones that can't. Thought for sure they were a goner one day when they flew across the property away from the pond up the hill but they just wanted to go for a quick loop around the place and came circling right back. Not sure whats gonna happen with the wood duck but my hopes are he'll stick around the same.
Not a big fan of clipping wings.
I don't have a problem with wing clipping. I just like flying ducks. I remember a long, long time ago I didn't even know that some ducks couldn't fly. I just feel that, if I didn't want a duck that would fly, I wouldn't get a duck that could fly. My ducks flying is usually one one of the highest points of my day.

Popcorn this morning....

Popcorn tonight...(12 hours later!)

(Popcorn left, Chicklet top right, Memory bottom right)

@JadeComputerGal there will be no clipping of the wings for him or any of my birds for that matter. Flight is an amazing thing. There's actually a great video about natural foi grai from ted talks, can't remember what its called but it was a terrific story about migrating birds own choices.

Just catching up. Great ducky pics. Sorry for the losses. Low hanging ducks are definitely a sign of laying. Gotta keep it quick and short. Here's qbert .
QBERT! I love wood ducks! She's a pretty one! Been trying to obtain wood ducks for a while now but so expensive!

QBERT! I love wood ducks! She's a pretty one! Been trying to obtain wood ducks for a while now but so expensive!
he(wishful thinking) was a rescue from the city near here. We've always wanted wood ducks too, so when my in laws boss found it abandoned running around in the street at only a few days old at most, she mentioned our property and he was more than happy for it to go to a good home near them. They get weekly updates from the in law when she comes up to baby sit too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom