The Duck Thread

Nvm i feel silly. They left it at my garage door lol all good
smile.png
LOL well your not the only one who has felt silly. Congrats now on to the bator.

I actually lost 5 ducks Wednesday night. I thought it was coyotes, thats usually what it is until we saw a fisher last night about a mile from our place. Now I am a little worried, fishers are fairly big and not necessarily nocturnal. I have not lost another bird since but now I have noticed a couple of rabbits that are not around. I was missing a few cats also. May have to set a big trap up in a tree.
Better make sure to lock everyone up at night and maybe keep them penned securely till you trap what ever it is. Why in a tree?

I actually lost 5 ducks Wednesday night. I thought it was coyotes, thats usually what it is until we saw a fisher last night about a mile from our place. Now I am a little worried, fishers are fairly big and not necessarily nocturnal. I have not lost another bird since but now I have noticed a couple of rabbits that are not around. I was missing a few cats also. May have to set a big trap up in a tree.

Just for my own curiosity, can you describe the bird you're calling a fisher? What we call fishers in the US are fairly small birds, and they don't attack larger animals like ducks, rabbits and cats. I'm not disputing that what you saw could have caused damage, just thinking we might use different terms for it. Based on what you described, my first guess would have been a predatory mammal.

Just for my own curiosity, can you describe the bird you're calling a fisher? What we call fishers in the US are fairly small birds, and they don't attack larger animals like ducks, rabbits and cats. I'm not disputing that what you saw could have caused damage, just thinking we might use different terms for it. Based on what you described, my first guess would have been a predatory mammal.
I thought a fisher was a member of the weasel family.
This is what I was thinking when they said Fisher

images

Last edited:
I thought a fisher was a member of the weasel family.
This is what I was thinking when they said Fisher

images

For Heaven's sake, don't even ask me why I read the word "bird" into that. Hey, that means I'm a birdbrain! LOL.

Yep, those could definitely be a danger to ducks and rabbits, though the cat part would surprise me. I guess even that would be possible.

For Heaven's sake, don't even ask me why I read the word "bird" into that. Hey, that means I'm a birdbrain! LOL.

Yep, those could definitely be a danger to ducks and rabbits, though the cat part would surprise me. I guess even that would be possible.
Here a fisher is a bird too. That photo reminds me of a mink. But, I'm sure different areas of the country....

LOL not a bird brain at all. I use to hang on the predator and prey thread learned alot there.

Here a fisher is a bird too. That photo reminds me of a mink.  But, I'm sure different areas of the country....
We have hawks here in Tennessee that catch wild rabbits and will definitely go after chickens and ducks especially the smaller breeds! One got my miniature wiener dog one year! She survived but it was a difficult recovery for her! She couldn't move for several days...i had to spoon feed her and flip her every few hrs! Shes good as new now tho!

That is a fisher. The largest member of the weasel family. Very voracious predator.

Back
Top Bottom