The Duck Thread

I love Persians. Their faces. Kinda like a shih tzu with the wonderful looking short snooter snouts. I am so sorry you lost Jade. Now I see where your name comes from. 18 yrs is a huge part of your life.

So true about the good with the bad for breeding specifics. Now I totally know what you mean exactly, Gina. I've learned on here that we want Calls with stubby bills but sometimes it's those bills that make it too hard for the baby to break out of his shell.

Thank you, Julie, and yes, her name was where my nick came from many years ago, 16 or 17 years ago.

Jade hadn't been herself for a while, months. She couldn't keep her balance, and she had a hard time eating until we adjusted her feeding situation. The vet thought it was possible she'd had a stroke but wasn't sure. She started wanting to go outside every time we opened the back door, which I attributed to old age and wanting to be in the sun. She had never left the house prior to that other than to go to the vet. She was leery of the outdoors until then.

I picked her up two weeks ago today when she was "sleeping" in front of the vacuum robot, and it turned out that she wasn't just sleeping. It was a rough day.

Haha! Yall r sooo awesome! Thanks for all the great info & sorry about the confusion jade! I did start out asking about ducks then switched to chickens! I just have more chickens...only one duck so no worries about her except that she has a little chicken boyfriend! Lol! He got in a scuffle with one of the other roosters last week and they got too close to my outside dog and he got chomped so he was inside for a couple of days! Thank god he was ok but he slept in the bed with my son the whole time he was inside! My son made him a spot on the corner of his bed to sleep and he would get up from it and get under the covers up against my sons chest and sleep there all night! Since hes been bk out he doesn't want to hang with the other chickens....keeps trying to mate with the duck which is hilarious, and if the other roosters try to get on him the duck runs em off! It's crazy! She keeps em all in line! I do have a few different lines tho! I know the sea brights r full blooded & theres 3 golden sea brights, the feather-footed (who loves the duck) and one silver sea bright so im assuming they r all from different lines! The game rooster and his mom i got from the same person i got my sea brights from! Then i got the duck & my CX from another person as babies...he bought them from rural king and decided he didn't want em...they're my original birds! The rest i got from completely different ppl too plus im planning to get more from completely different ppl than any of them too! I'd like to try to get some babies from my CX b4 she starts having problems just because i love her so much and i know she won't live forever! Thought about breeding her to my game rooster...babies might look funny but i don't care! Lol! He's just the only one i have that i think could get the job done as all my others r bantams! I just wanted to make sure i had my facts in order b4 i let em start setting in the spring! Speaking of the crazy in line breeding and bulls and such, ive seen that in pitbulls! Ppl have get a few & let em breed and breed & wind up with crazy ones! Mostly out of carelessness with pitbulls tho or for fighting purposes which is just wrong! Thats where pitbulls get their bad name! The ones that r breed properly and raised right r great dogs!

@JadeComputerGal
hugs.gif

@season1223 I had to do bring in a new roo this year because of just what yall are talking about I only had the one and he was breeding his granddaughter and she was on eggs, so I got outside my flock eggs for her to sit on only one of her eggs from her grandaddy made it almost to hatch and died in the shell but I got a new roo now that isn't kin to any of my hens. After reading this that JCG posted I am glad the chick didn't make it to hatch. even though it was grand daddy to grand dd. It's easy to bring in new blood. Especially if you have bantams and Muscovy's who love to brood.
smile.png

and I had to make the very hard decision to re home 2 of my drakes because I had granddaddy-Opie and Son -Andy and grandson -Henry not good to have so many related. Plus the fighting.If I ever let any of my ducks hatch again I will look for eggs from an outside source and let my Ever wanting to brood Muscovy females hatch some for me.

Thank you, Julie, and yes, her name was where my nick came from many years ago, 16 or 17 years ago.

Jade hadn't been herself for a while, months. She couldn't keep her balance, and she had a hard time eating until we adjusted her feeding situation. The vet thought it was possible she'd had a stroke but wasn't sure. She started wanting to go outside every time we opened the back door, which I attributed to old age and wanting to be in the sun. She had never left the house prior to that other than to go to the vet. She was leery of the outdoors until then.

I picked her up two weeks ago today when she was "sleeping" in front of the vacuum robot, and it turned out that she wasn't just sleeping. It was a rough day.
You're welcome Gina. I like learning how people got their byc screen names. There's always a very interesting story behind them. And always one that is very dynamic. Yours is since it was years in its origins. Mine is too. Of course my real name is Julie. But my parents nicknamed me Bird because of my obsessive love of birds, esp zebra finches, which I was given my first pair over 40 years ago. I'm 52 now and it's been a love affair ever since.

That saddens me to hear about Jade's final days. I wonder what triggered her change in behavior from being an indoor only girl to wanting to be outdoors. Rhetorically speaking, what was driving her? I can only imagine how you felt when you made that discovery. Ugh. Our little sweet, soft loves touch us in every way and take us to better places in our hearts when we need it most and being on byc sure has wonderfully allowed me the opportunity to really share with others the feelings I have about animals that are a gigantic part of my life.

Sorry jade about your cat....I have a 15 year old cat that is starting to show her age...a few years back she had her thyroids removed and had done well since then. But at that time she was skin and bones and tearing into the trash and basically eating non stop. As she was starving to death.
She has always been an outdoor cat during the summer...retires inside for the winter.
I think your cat wanted out because she probably one it was her time. I've had cats in the past that wondered off to die alone. They just found a nice quiet place and went to sleep. Sounds like your cat had a great life and will be missed. That's the true meaning of success how much you are missed when your gone.....take care.....Phil

Back
Top Bottom