The Duck Thread

It tastes petfectly good, maybe even better. I cook everything with duck eggs. The chickens are slacking on their job. Lol

It's on the cooling rack now! It's got the whole house smelling good! I don't know why all pumpkin pie recipes leave ya with extra filling but i decided to take the graham cracker crust from a cheesecake box and make some mini pumpkin pies in a muffin pan with it! Looks like they might be good! I always keep the packet of graham cracker crush mix for other stuff because i always buy the premade Keebler graham cracker crusts for my cheesecake! I do some stuff totally from scratch and others from mix....the box cheesecakes r so good and easy i cheat on those! Hehe! With pumpkin stuff its just easier and less costly to cook a pumpkin....ya get enuf to make several pies, loaves of bread, etc. I've even cooked the big carving pumpkins....they're just as good and u can make a ton of stuff from it! Theyre great if u cook on a large scale or like to give pumpkin bread as gifts! All of my friends look forward to getting a loaf or 2 every yr! It's exciting to not have to buy eggs this yr!!

No, a dot is not fertile.

A dot with a ring around it is fertile.

So is this a dot with a ring around it? This is from one of my bantam chickens!

Hard for me to see on my phone, but that one looks fertile to me... kinda like a halo around the dot and the dot is bigger looking, yes?

It was hard to get a good pic of it but yes! That's what it looks like! Too cool! Now i know what im looking for! This hen is caged with my game rooster but shes actually his mom so not sure if i should hatch any from them 2! Does it matter with chickens? I don't want mentally ill or deformed babies!

It was hard to get a good pic of it but yes! That's what it looks like! Too cool! Now i know what im looking for! This hen is caged with my game rooster but shes actually his mom so not sure if i should hatch any from them 2! Does it matter with chickens? I don't want mentally ill or deformed babies!

Actually, breeding son to mom is called line breeding... and is better than breeding siblings together...

Some people are totally against line breeding, but if necessary it is a useful practice to get your numbers up...

So it comes down to personal choice... :)

Actually, breeding son to mom is called line breeding... and is better than breeding siblings together...

Some people are totally against line breeding, but if necessary it is a useful practice to get your numbers up...

So it comes down to personal choice... :)

Oh ok! Well thats good to know! I wasnt sure how all that worked! She was caged with him when i got them so i just left em that way! didnt want him to feel completely alone & i was told it helps them be a little less aggressive if they have a hen with em! What about cousins or aunts to nephews...that sorta thing!? I don't think ill have any problems when i first start letting them breed but later on i might!

Last edited:
Oh ok! Well thats good to know! I wasnt sure how all that worked! She was caged with him when i got them so i just left em that way! didnt want him to feel completely alone & i was told it helps them be a little less aggressive if they have a hen with em! What about cousins or aunts to nephews...that sorta thing!? I don't think ill have any problems when i first start letting them breed but later on i might!

Later on down the line, you will have issues. How much later is up for grabs. People do line breeding in many animals to bring out the best of the traits, but don't forget it will also be more likely to bring out the worst. If you're going to do line breeding, it's best to do it with grandparent/grandchild instead of parent/child. Also, as Ravyn said, it's not advisable to breed siblings, mostly for the same reason you skip a generation to the grandchildren if you're going to line breed.

Later on down the line, you will have issues. How much later is up for grabs. People do line breeding in many animals to bring out the best of the traits, but don't forget it will also be more likely to bring out the worst. If you're going to do line breeding, it's best to do it with grandparent/grandchild instead of parent/child. Also, as Ravyn said, it's not advisable to breed siblings, mostly for the same reason you skip a generation to the grandchildren if you're going to line breed.

Ok! Sounds good! I don't plan on breeding any of them until spring because i just don't want to have to worry about babies in the winter! I have those 2 that r related! Then i have a baby roo and baby hen that have paired up but they have different parents and 5 sea brights...not sure if any of them r related but one is a feather-footed who I would love to breed; however he is in love with my duck! Then i have another pair of bantams and another bantam rooster...all different parents but could be cousins which is why I asked about cousins...lol! I just went to make sure my feather-footed roo and my big birds went inside and lock up their coop for the night and this is what I found...

My big birds nestled in their bed! Looked all over the roost for my roo...he wasnt there!

Surprise! There he is! Lmao! He's ruined!

does consistent line breeding if done correctly as you've instructed ensure the continuation of traits like puffy cheeks and stubby bills in little call ducks?

Back
Top Bottom