The Duck Thread

Thanks im new to ducks i was hopeing someon could confurm all 5 of my ducks are girls

It makes complete sense. I've had Persian cats most of my adult life. The reason I was off BYC for the first week was that work went crazy, and the reason I was away after that on the very day I intended to come back is that my sweet blue Persian kitty Jade that I'd had for more than 18 years finally gave up.

It's what you do when you're breeding. You breed for type, which in some cases means flat faces, etc. Sometimes the animals don't do well from it, and even if they do, they have the typical things like sinus issues, teary eyes, etc. Sometimes the "desirable" characteristics aren't such a good thing for the animal.
hugs.gif
18 yrs is a long and wonderful life for a cat.

@season1223
   I had to do bring in a new roo this year because of just what yall are talking about I only had the one and he was breeding his granddaughter and she was on eggs, so I got outside my flock  eggs for her to sit on only  one  of her eggs from her grandaddy made it almost to hatch and died in the shell but I got a new roo now that isn't kin to any of my hens.  After reading this that JCG posted I am glad the chick didn't make it to hatch.  even though it was grand daddy to grand dd. It's easy to bring in new blood. Especially if you have bantams and Muscovy's who love to brood.  :)

and I had to make the very hard decision to re home 2 of my drakes because I had granddaddy-Opie and Son -Andy and grandson -Henry not good to have so many related.  Plus the fighting.If I ever let any of my ducks hatch again  I will look for eggs from an outside source  and let my Ever wanting to brood Muscovy females hatch some for me.

It's nice to have some in the bunch that r willing to set on any eggs! My friend has a hen that will do that and the other hens will wait for her to get up to eat and lay their eggs in her nest! Lol! She had some 20 eggs under her at once! Im hoping i will get some to go broody in the spring! I havent had any of my other bantam hens lay any eggs yet but im thinking it might be because they don't get much sun! They free range but stay in the wood line and tall grass...the one that is laying is in a pen outside the coop so she is kinda forced to get sun!

It's nice to have some in the bunch that r willing to set on any eggs! My friend has a hen that will do that and the other hens will wait for her to get up to eat and lay their eggs in her nest! Lol! She had some 20 eggs under her at once! Im hoping i will get some to go broody in the spring! I havent had any of my other bantam hens lay any eggs yet but im thinking it might be because they don't get much sun! They free range but stay in the wood line and tall grass...the one that is laying is in a pen outside the coop so she is kinda forced to get sun!
I've never known a bantam hen that won't sit on an egg lol They love to brood. So you probably won't have a problem finding one to sit for you. When mine start laying and get serious about sitting I start marking the eggs to keep up with hers and anyone else who maybe laying in her nest that way if she has already started brooding she won't be sitting on eggs laid far apart and won't be getting up and leaving chicks that are part of the way incubated because hers have already hatched. They usually only stay in the nest 2-3 days after last chick hatches so any eggs left after that will be abandoned. In other words once she has laid and begins to sit no egg that isn't marked gets to stay under her.

I'm going to be away from BYC for a good while and didn't want to just disappear without saying anything. I've disabled all my email notifications other than for PM, but you can PM me if you'd like my personal email address. I don't want to post it here since there are a lot of bots on the Internet that harvest Internet addresses.

Much, much love to all!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom