The Duck Thread

It's easier to tell when they are younger than 5 days the pullets start growing in their wing feathers faster than the cockerel's. you still maybe able to tell look close at the feathers on their wings or post some pics maybe I can help or you'll have to wait for a crow or egg. ;)

I'll try to get some pics sometime. They're so squirmy lol. My husband is bringing home two Guineas to raise with them today. I think he's lost it lol. I know even less about Guineas! I don't even know what they look like.

It depends on the breed some of them you just can really tell but if you have a breed that is easier to sex then you can check the wings if you don't want to vent sex, roosters tend to get their feather slower than hen so if you notice that some of your chicks are still pretty fluffy while the others have lots of feather starting to happen then you probably have a rooster. Please keep in mind I'm far from an experienced chicken owner I've only had chicks for a week but I've done a ton of research and YouTube video watching.

Thanks! I'm think I'm starting to get that I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs and be patient lol.

Haven't seen you in a while.  Just saying hello!  I know nothing about chickens (sorry).

Hi! I haven't been very active lately. Work has been very busy and I've been working lots of overtime. I need a vacation lol

Last edited:
My husband has lost it! He came home with a chick and two ducklings from the feed store, and is getting two Guinea chicks from his mom. I'm going to be drowning in birds!

But get a load of these 'lings! They were labeled Indian runners, and one of them is definitely fawn/white runner. The other doesn't look so runner-ish to me. Looks more pekin or white layer. Either way, they're cute! And I won't let myself name them until I know if they're girls lol.

Pics for everyone!!

The runner

And the not-so-runner

Fight for the water bowl

The chicks still think they rule the brooder

Stretchykins!

The photobombers

On a sadder note, here are these two in a separate carrier. The one in the back has the broken wing. It's eating and drinking still, but it's wing and side are swollen with infection. The feathers on its wing appear to be falling out. It also hasn't grown much at all. The chick in front is a replacement chick for broken wing, since it is likely he won't last much longer. Replacement chick is very small so he is separated from the big ones for now and offers company for broken wing.

Back
Top Bottom