The Duck Thread

I need some advice. My dog got ahold of my 6 week old Cayuga duck. He seems to be okay other than missing some feathers and a bit stressed I would have to say. I brought him in the house to calm down for a little while and I ran him a warm bath to sit in and relax. Hes back outside with his 3 buddies and they are in their pen.So I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do to make sure he is going to be okay. other than the obvious of not letting the dog get to him again.

I need some advice. My dog got ahold of my 6 week old Cayuga duck. He seems to be okay other than missing some feathers and a bit stressed I would have to say. I brought him in the house to calm down for a little while and I ran him a warm bath to sit in and relax. Hes back outside with his 3 buddies and they are in their pen.So I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do to make sure he is going to be okay. other than the obvious of not letting the dog get to him again.
That is really about all you can do. Keep an eye on him and make sure something doesn't pop up. Ducks are very good at hiding problems so something may come up in a day or so. But we all hope he is fine.

Hello everyone we are brand new to the duck world and are having the best time with raising the it is an amazing experience for my 6 soon to be 7 year old he tells everyone that they are his babies.

That's awesome! Ducks make great quirky pets :) here are some of mine. Have any pics of yours to share?

Last edited:
I have a duck with all red feathers, if you would like to see pics please just ask! I'll post them on my thread for Rare! Chocolate Orpington Duck. The duck getting red feathers is Harmony, a rare chocolate buff. She is extremely beautiful!
I wanna kiss your avatar 'ling.

does any body have canadian geese? i recently received some eggs from a friend and i put them under my broody duck who happily excepted them but the duck eggs are only a week or two in and the goose eggs are on their last day or two in the egg, will this cause problems for the ducks? i was wondering if the geese hatch the ducks might not set on their eggs any more? any input is welcomed, thanks guys.

I would pull those goslings as soon as they hatch and put Ina brooder. Then see what mama does. If you have an incubator, transfer all eggs to it if she stops setting.

I'd keep him separate for 2-3 days and watch him. Extra niacin (Brewers yeast) and peas can't hurt at all!! Anytime I have an injured duck they spend a few days at Uncle Tom's Ducky Dayspa!!! I.E.; the bathtub. Lol. Keep us posted please.

Back
Top Bottom