The Duck Thread

Freddie (the Rouen drake w angel wing) is 3yrs old and he has NEVER had angel wing before, it happened yesterday, his right wing. Maybe my khaki drake hurt him? He was on top of him pulling him down and biting yesterday(like mating but both drakes, and yes I have enough females) I will try to take a pic please help!

It is about 5 week and I noticed it at about 2 weeks old but have been doing everything to help it and I have called my vet but they say it's to young to do anything.. No it's not completely crippled but it walks on its elbows but gets around that way..

I'm going to borrow this copy/paste from @Amiga and post it for you.

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

Freddie (the Rouen drake w angel wing) is 3yrs old and he has NEVER had angel wing before, it happened yesterday, his right wing. Maybe my khaki drake hurt him? He was on top of him pulling him down and biting yesterday(like mating but both drakes, and yes I have enough females) I will try to take a pic please help!
Sometimes my Runners will get a few feathers twisted near the ends of their wings - - - right before a molt, especially, sometimes after a kerfuffle. It looks a bit like angel wing. Maybe that's it.

Sometimes my Runners will get a few feathers twisted near the ends of their wings - - - right before a molt, especially, sometimes after a kerfuffle.  It looks a bit like angel wing.  Maybe that's it.

Ah ok, he seems to be molting a bit.

Hello everyone we are brand new to the duck world and are having the best time with raising the it is an amazing experience for my 6 soon to be 7 year old he tells everyone that they are his babies.

How much brewer's yeast,  how much niacin (and what kind?  plain?  no-flush?  timed-release?)

If it's slipped tendon, this may help  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987977/successful-treatment-of-slipped-tendons-in-bantam-duckling

@white socks
He seems to be doing better now that it's our with the other ducks. I bring him in at night so the can swim in the tub and then I keep it in for the night.. I got 100 mgs niacin tablets. I was giving it 50 mgs in a quart of water.. And a TSP. brewer's yeast on a half cup food...

Thanks.

So that's about 200 mg per gallon . . . and it's plain niacin?

Just going over what you're doing, trying to see if there are any improvements that might be made. I have read that plain niacin is what's needed, not no-flush or timed release.

Thanks.

So that's about 200 mg per gallon . . . and it's plain niacin?

Just going over what you're doing, trying to see if there are any improvements that might be made.  I have read that plain niacin is what's needed, not no-flush or timed release.
Yes plain niacin..

Back
Top Bottom