The Duck Thread

Hi guys it's me from a previous post about one of my ducks being attacked. I have been keeping her seperated but still able to see the rest of the flock since she seems to stress more alone. I have been cleaning her cuts and they seem to be doing very well she's a bit quiet still but eats and drinks enough Ed say she seems to be doing a lot of self cleaning today which is the first day I've seen her be more active since the attack but I'm worried she could hurt herself I saw a small drop of blood on her beak after she cleaned her self, I checked her wounds and they seem fine as well a bit of dry blood and some missing feathers but all seems good..she does seem to be overly cleaning herself I feel tho should I stop her or is this fine

Hi guys it's me from a previous post about one of my ducks being attacked. I have been keeping her seperated but still able to see the rest of the flock since she seems to stress more alone. I have been cleaning her cuts and they seem to be doing very well she's a bit quiet still but eats and drinks enough Ed say she seems to be doing a lot of self cleaning today which is the first day I've seen her be more active since the attack but I'm worried she could hurt herself I saw a small drop of blood on her beak after she cleaned her self, I checked her wounds and they seem fine as well a bit of dry blood and some missing feathers but all seems good..she does seem to be overly cleaning herself I feel tho should I stop her or is this fine
I don't really know. I would say "Let nature take care of itself." I would think that she knows how and when to clean herself. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

When mine got attacked by a dog I separated her in a wire dog cage within the duck enclosure. That way everyone was together at night. It was amazing how close all the other ducks stayed to her while she was healing. There was usually at least one duck laying beside the wire cage, even during the day, I guess just to be close.

Good luck, you will be amazed how they can bounce back. The one I had that got attacked had a huge hole in her side, right in front of the wing. You could actually see down into the hole and see all her muscles and stuff, I didn't think she had a chance. I just put hydrogen peroxide on it and then Neosporin and left it. At that time I wasn't a part of BYC or I would have been asking lots of questions about it. But she survived! I still have that Pekin duck, she is over a year old now. So you never know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

M

Hello all :) I was hoping to get some advice if I could. I have 11 Indian runner eggs currently in my DIY incubator that I rescued after mama duck died
1f61e.png
I only guessed that she was laying about a week or so,which would make this coming weekend lockdown time. My first question is if I don't have the dates right, how detrimental is it to go in to lockdown too early or too late?
Second question is that one of the eggs that I first thought was a dud started growing once in the incubator so he's at least a full week behind the rest. Will he be fine with lockdown humidity? Could I wrap some paper towel around him to absorb some? Any other ideas?
I only have the 1 incubator and it's not very spacious.
Thanks lovelies :)

Does anyone know if ducks can see in the dark? I quite often hear mine having a party at night. If I go out to check, there isn't anything wrong, just partying! LOL

I notice on our game camera that they are always looking at anything (I have seen a coon and a coyote on the camera) that is messing around their enclosure at night. Just wondering how well they can see.

Thanks in advance,
M

So happy to hear she is doing well. Cleaning herself is a good sign.

I don't really know. I would say "Let nature take care of itself." I would think that she knows how and when to clean herself. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

When mine got attacked by a dog I separated her in a wire dog cage within the duck enclosure. That way everyone was together at night. It was amazing how close all the other ducks stayed to her while she was healing. There was usually at least one duck laying beside the wire cage, even during the day, I guess just to be close.

Good luck, you will be amazed how they can bounce back. The one I had that got attacked had a huge hole in her side, right in front of the wing. You could actually see down into the hole and see all her muscles and stuff, I didn't think she had a chance. I just put hydrogen peroxide on it and then Neosporin and left it. At that time I wasn't a part of BYC or I would have been asking lots of questions about it. But she survived! I still have that Pekin duck, she is over a year old now. So you never know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

M
X2

Hello all
smile.png
I was hoping to get some advice if I could. I have 11 Indian runner eggs currently in my DIY incubator that I rescued after mama duck died
1f61e.png
I only guessed that she was laying about a week or so,which would make this coming weekend lockdown time. My first question is if I don't have the dates right, how detrimental is it to go in to lockdown too early or too late?
Second question is that one of the eggs that I first thought was a dud started growing once in the incubator so he's at least a full week behind the rest. Will he be fine with lockdown humidity? Could I wrap some paper towel around him to absorb some? Any other ideas?
I only have the 1 incubator and it's not very spacious.
Thanks lovelies
smile.png
I wouldn't worry about going into lockdown until you are comfortable. Some folks continue to candle until they see internal pips and then go into lock down.
Waiting until you see internal pips on some of the others will be beneficial to the late bloomer.
fl.gif
hatching goes well. Be sure to keep us posted.
Does anyone know if ducks can see in the dark? I quite often hear mine having a party at night. If I go out to check, there isn't anything wrong, just partying! LOL

I notice on our game camera that they are always looking at anything (I have seen a coon and a coyote on the camera) that is messing around their enclosure at night. Just wondering how well they can see.

Thanks in advance,
M
Good question. We have those parties here also. It's very common for them to be loud at night which makes no sense to me at all because of night predators. It's like they are saying 'here we are.' OR maybe they're saying, "here we are, it's a bunch of us so stay away,"
idunno.gif

[quote

I wouldn't worry about going into lockdown until you are comfortable. Some folks continue to candle until they see internal pips and then go into lock down.
Waiting until you see internal pips on some of the others will be beneficial to the late bloomer. :fl hatching goes well.  Be sure to keep us posted.

[/quote]

Thank you for your comment! I think I will do it that way...ill at least know when the timing is right!

Seems to me she is giving you some clues . . . now to figure out what she's hinting at.

If you have clipped the feathers away from the edges of each wound, you can see pretty well how each one looks. You don't need to shave her, just clip the feather down to maybe half an inch long, and about half an inch from the edge of the wound.

It could be the healing is itching. What is her daily treatment at this point? Saline rinses? Vetericyn? Ointment? If a wound is getting bloody again, there may be cause for concern that it is not healing correctly. Perhaps some dirt got in it, and there is infection. Check for swelling, heat, and off odor.

Any sign of fly strike? That's when flies lay their eggs in a wound.

I would not interfere with her cleaning herself at this point - I would watch closely and see exactly where the blood is coming from and just look over all the wounds - there may have even been one you missed at first....

CUTE!  What kind are they?

Four Rouens, three are quaking... the fourth is an absolutely beautiful duck. Reaaally hoping he's a male! And the two grey, I was told are RouenxRunner. However they're not standing very upright, and the one is more heavily built than every other duckling. So I guess we'll see when they mature!

Seems to me she is giving you some clues . . . now to figure out what she's hinting at.

If you have clipped the feathers away from the edges of each wound, you can see pretty well how each one looks.  You don't need to shave her, just clip the feather down to maybe half an inch long, and about half an inch from the edge of the wound.

It could be the healing is itching.  What is her daily treatment at this point?  Saline rinses?  Vetericyn?  Ointment?  If a wound is getting bloody again, there may be cause for concern that it is not healing correctly.  Perhaps some dirt got in it, and there is infection.  Check for swelling, heat, and off odor.

Any sign of fly strike?  That's when flies lay their eggs in a wound.

I would not interfere with her cleaning herself at this point - I would watch closely and see exactly where the blood is coming from and just look over all the wounds - there may have even been one you missed at first....
I clean her 2-3 times a day with hydrogen peroxide and let her bathe for most of the day, her wound def seems to be getting smaller as in the dry blood around it there isn't as much but I will def try and get a better look at it thank you

Good luck, you will be amazed how they can bounce back. The one I had that got attacked had a huge hole in her side, right in front of the wing. You could actually see down into the hole and see all her muscles and stuff, I didn't think she had a chance. I just put hydrogen peroxide on it and then Neosporin and left it.  At that time I wasn't a part of BYC or I would have been asking lots of questions about it.  But she survived! I still have that Pekin duck, she is over a year old now. So you never know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

M
Ok thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom