The Duck Thread

Sorry, correction... Silver Appleyard ducklings should have a 'mohawk' stripe and dark tails... they have kinda an eye stripe, sometimes... and there is a dark phase, but hard to tell which are true or crossed without breeding and growing them out...

Bottom pic is typical Silver Appleyard ducklings... top is 2 different dark phases...

Thank you so much!

Very cool, I could have sworn there was only one color for silver appleyards. Does the book have a picture of what they look like as adults?

I *think* so, but I'll have to look for sure... doing my evening rounds now, but I'll get into it tonight for you, no prob... and get the exact name of book too, if you'd like... :)

Very cool, I could have sworn there was only one color for silver appleyards. Does the book have a picture of what they look like as adults?

I think SAs are just like Rouens....
there are four phases of Rouens, just like the two SA phases. Only one is really "known" because it's common and bred for, as it is standardized and "breeds true"- and also guarentees purebreds. With the non-standardizes phases, it's uncommon for the bird to be purebred.
For example- Rouens have four phases- gray (wild color), pastel, blue fawn, and trout (Rouen Claire)
SAs also have two phases, too apparently.
but that particular phase (to be bred for) must have ALL the breed's proper qualities. Right bill color, feet color, patterning (eye stripe colors, etc), sex linkage (if there), temperament, egg shell color, and if they breed "true" (the ducklings are of proper ratio/proper color as parents carry) must be ALL considered before breeding the color (if breeding stock is the aim), as well as the fact that 60%-90% of those "rare" phases are cross bred.
It gets tricky.

Sand as bedding.

From my experience raising ducks in runs (there are just too many haws in this area,) the only bedding that has ever worked for me is sand. Bare soil and hay attract too many flies and create an odor. Sand allows droppings and moisture to drain right down to the ground. It seems by far like the perfect solution.

Eight eggs in eight days. My beautiful crested mali dug a shallow round hole in the corner of the duck run and has laid eggs for 8 days in a row, with the help of her Rouen Drake. Will start candling them tomorrow to check fertilization status. Will post updates. These are my first eggs

Last edited:
Eight eggs in eight days. My beautiful crested mali dug a shallow round hole in the corner of the duck run and has laid eggs for 8 days in a row, with the help of her Rouen Drake. Will start candling them tomorrow to check fertilization status. Will post updates. These are my first eggs

Congratulations! Is she a crested Swedish? Maybe a cross? She and he are very pretty!

I have 2 black Swedish but mine have dark feet and legs, maybe she isn't a Swedish. I am NO expert!

Mandy

good luck with the eggs.Beautiful ducks...
1f603.png

Last edited:
I've been scratching wondering. She's got the crested head and the Swedish pattern so it's definitely possible.

I'm going to have to trade my Drake Rouen for another female, otherwise I will have some 300 ducklings a year. I will be posting him up on the forum in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom