The Duck Thread

Here's a random question! I have a wild turkey! Running around my home for a few days now every morning...I have 3 pekin Ducks could they be in danger? I have placed them in their den for now but does any one now are wild turkeys aggressive with territory and such? Should I shoo it away

I don't know - but am interested in this. We occasionally have wild turkeys come through. Once a young Tom seemed very interested in the flock of Runners. He spent a while checking them out, then moved along. But we keep our Runners in pens when they are unaccompanied by a human adult.

On a side note from my limpy pekin. Here's a comparison pic of my eclipsing mallard drake.
June 26
August 2

And a few of the rest.

How do I identify if it is infected? or it is bumblefoot?

Bumblefoot usually shows a lump and a brown spot scab... sometimes the scab is super tiny, I had one that got a teeny, tiny thorn in hers and the spot was the size of a needle tip... it may be warmer than the rest of the web... the infection will be inside the lump and it's usually a hard whitish or yellowish clump... I'd soak his foot in warm water with epsom salts and take a look... :)

Here's a random question! I have a wild turkey! Running around my home for a few days now every morning...I have 3 pekin Ducks could they be in danger? I have placed them in their den for now but does any one now are wild turkeys aggressive with territory and such? Should I shoo it away

Is it male or female? Toms can get a bit territorial so I would just try to help it keep its distance a bit... but for the most part, turkeys are just curious... unfortunately they do also have large, sharp beaks and curiosity can lead to investigative pecks... just keep an eye on it and shoo it off if it worries you...

Bumblefoot usually shows a lump and a brown spot scab... sometimes the scab is super tiny, I had one that got a teeny, tiny thorn in hers and the spot was the size of a needle tip... it may be warmer than the rest of the web... the infection will be inside the lump and it's usually a hard whitish or yellowish clump... I'd soak his foot in warm water with epsom salts and take a look...
smile.png
oh my this is going to be quite an adventure to try to get him to let me do this!!! glad the DH loves them too!

oh my this is going to be quite an adventure to try to get him to let me do this!!! glad the DH loves them too!

Good luck! At the least, try warm water in the tub and stick him in there... you just don't really want him drinking the epsom salt water since its a laxative... not pleasant when you have to work with them on your lap afterwards...

Good luck! At the least, try warm water in the tub and stick him in there... you just don't really want him drinking the epsom salt water since its a laxative... not pleasant when you have to work with them on your lap afterwards...

Couldn't do anything last two nights since it was dark before we got home
1f62c.png
Got him and looked at it again this morning I don't really see anything in particular but will soak tonight and look for a scab or cut (and take pics to share for help) wish me luck!!

Couldn't do anything last two nights since it was dark before we got home
1f62c.png
Got him and looked at it again this morning I don't really see anything in particular but will soak tonight and look for a scab or cut (and take pics to share for help) wish me luck!!
Please don't cut that should be last resort. soaks and clear iodine should take care of it especially if your not even seeing a black scab yet. feel all over bottom of foot for splinters and look closely too wrap him in a large towel. Also check his leg up and down for swelling or extra heat. make sure to check where leg and body meet for anything that could have gotten wrapped around. My Runner had some vining wrapped around his neck and he finally got it off but i thought for sure i was going to have to do it. it wasn't tight but still worrisome.

Back
Top Bottom