The Duck Thread

PLEASE HELP.
My lovely duck Squidge was bitten by a jack Russell that had dug it's way into our garden. I took him to the vet, he got cleaned up! He's been fine for the last 3 days, he's been living in our house so I can keep close watch. I wake up this morning and his poop is fluorescent green!! Is this from the antibiotics?! Or should I take him back to the vets?! I would ring but it's not open yet. He's taking Baytril (antibiotic) and has just finished his painkiller Loxicom. I'm so worried about him. Other than the poop he is fine, just still a little unstable while walking. (Sorry for the picture)

I was just looking up a chart on duck poo and someone said anytime they get neon green poop it can be serious and if you can you should contact a vet. I'm no expert so I don't know why. I was just recently looking at a poop chart lol and saw that. Good luck.

X2 on the overfilled crop, that happens with mine, too.

Sorry for your losses, and hope you can find a way to deal with the ravens.

-Kathy

Thanks it makes sense and they haven't done it since thank god. :)

I rang the vet, they said it's because of the antibiotics and the fact he isn't eating as much! He's nearly finished the antibiotics now. He will be off on Saturday. I've been told it should clear up, if not to bring him back in.
I was just looking up a chart on duck poo and someone said anytime they get neon green poop it can be serious and if you can you should contact a vet. I'm no expert so I don't know why. I was just recently looking at a poop chart lol and saw that. Good luck.
I rant

I rang the vet, they said it's because of the antibiotics and the fact he isn't eating as much! He's nearly finished the antibiotics now. He will be off on Saturday. I've been told it should clear up, if not to bring him back in.
I rant

Keep a close eye on him, and if he gets worse before Saturday, take him back to see the vet. Keep in mind that most vets are only open for a few hours on Saturdays, and closed on Sundays.

-Kathy

There are plenty of people that don't automatically jump to killing. Two wrongs don't make a right. I know of someone who lost 8 chicks to a raven this year. You know what they did? They preditor proofed their chick enclosure and they never had another issue. No poisoning wildlife, no getting mad at a wild animal doing what it's meant to do...sorry but agree to disagree. Taking responsibility for not keeping your "pets" as you called them safe is part of being human. I've lost much more than a duckling and a keet over my years of keeping birds and never once have I wanted to kill over it. It's one thing if you have done everything and a predator keeps coming back but they didn't. Oh and humans killing predators over the years has caused issues. For instance killing of coyotes has actually increased their numbers and intelligence to where they migrated up to north east USA and have now hybridized with wolves. I understand the anger of losing another living thing but put the responsibility where it's due.

That's really not a nice thing to say to someone who just lost their pets. And most people kill predators that eat their livestock. It's just how life is. It's our responsibility to protect them. Now that they know their is food there they will be back. I free range and I know I certainly would kill a predator that attacked my flock.

Responsibilities are seen in many ways... it is ones right to protect ones flock... whether by lethal force or not is up to each persons choice... judging another for doing what is in their rights is just not fair...

Nor is it fair to to equate the elimination of a predator targeting ones flock with the hunting of a species to an extreme...

Everyone has a different view and different solutions... it is best to respect that and not judge...

I rant

I'm happy to hear the vet is not to concerned. :) hopefully he will be himself again soon. :)

There are plenty of people that don't automatically jump to killing. Two wrongs don't make a right. I know of someone who lost 8 chicks to a raven this year. You know what they did? They preditor proofed their chick enclosure and they never had another issue. No poisoning wildlife, no getting mad at a wild animal doing what it's meant to do...sorry but agree to disagree. Taking responsibility for not keeping your "pets" as you called them safe is part of being human. I've lost much more than a duckling and a keet over my years of keeping birds and never once have I wanted to kill over it. It's one thing if you have done everything and a predator keeps coming back but they didn't. Oh and humans killing predators over the years has caused issues. For instance killing of coyotes has actually increased their numbers and intelligence to where they migrated up to north east USA and have now hybridized with wolves. I understand the anger of losing another living thing but put the responsibility where it's due.

I think this is just alot of unnecessary drama you are bringing to a thread of good people who love their animals. I think you see things one way and only that way. What about the people who free range? Should they also just let their flocks get eaten up. What about the people who don't have 5 hens in their backyard but keep a real flock of 100. Are they supposed to just cut their losses and let things keep eating their animals. Newsflash we are the top of the food chain. Every year people go out and hunt dear, ducks ,geese etc.. just for sport. But killing one bird to protect your flock is wrong. I have to disagree with you. Of coarse rehoming a racoon or something like that is fine if you can but I don't think you can do that with a raven. I agree it should also be done humanely. But I do not agree your animals should have to be locked up day and night to accommodate a wild animal.

Responsibilities are seen in many ways... it is ones right to protect ones flock... whether by lethal force or not is up to each persons choice... judging another for doing what is in their rights is just not fair...

Nor is it fair to to equate the elimination of a predator targeting ones flock with the hunting of a species to an extreme...

Everyone has a different view and different solutions... it is best to respect that and not judge...
I don't like the idea of killing anything, so much so that I tried to bottle feed little pinky rats once, but not now, lol... all it took was for me to see them pooping in my birds food dish. And moles, they're killed so many plants, and even killed a tree. Death to all vermin!
big_smile.png
Could I shoot a crow, raven, coyote, skunk, or opossum? Guess if I had to I would...

-Kathy

I don't like the idea of killing anything, so much so that I tried to bottle feed little pinky rats once, but not now, lol... all it took was for me to see them pooping in my birds food dish. And moles, they're killed so many plants, and even killed a tree. Death to all vermin! :D  Could I shoot a crow, raven, coyote, skunk, or opossum? Guess if I had to I would... 

-Kathy

I don't like the idea either, and I think most don't... but we also never know what we are capable of doing until we are in any given situation...

I never thought I could ever shoot someone's dog... last year our neighbors 2 dogs got out twice in 2 days... I lost 47 birds in that time, slaughtered for fun... they tore though welded wire, hardware cloth, all of it... neighbors response was that they were bird dogs doing what bird dogs do... sheriff responded and his advice was that I had a right to protect my property in any way I see fit, lethal force included... this year when one of them got out again, I didn't wait for it to kill a second bird...

Am I proud of that? Nope... but neither will I be ashamed of doing what was necessary and legal to protect my charges...

And just an FYI... in most states it is highly illegal to relocate possums, raccoons, skunks, etc... check your state laws before doing so, please... and unless you live within city limits, animal control usually won't deal with them... so most times if you trap it, you are required by law to dispose of it...

Guess we see drama in a different light. I'm just as entitled to my opinion as others. It's upsetting and overly dramatic to me to hear someone talk about poisoning wildlife over them not enclosing their baby livestock. Ravens don't go after full grown chickens, Guinea, etc hence them getting attacked by the flock when the Ravens went out into the persons yard. If a raven could have gotten to them so could a cat, dog, rat....No one said anything about locking your birds up their entire life. Doing it when their young and their number of natural predators is doubled is a no brainier. I've had an entire flock of 19 wring neck doves I had been breeding for years wiped out by a family of raccoons in one night. The next coop we built we made sure we put coyote sent around and more properly predator proofed. I never once got mad at the raccoons and they never came back. Ravens keep Hawks away. There is a good reason to have a symbiotic relationship with them and many homesteaders with large flocks try to keep them around. There is always different ways of dealing with predator issues. Prevention to me is always the number one option over killing off nature.

I'm happy to hear the vet is not to concerned. :) hopefully he will be himself again soon. :)
I think this is just alot of unnecessary drama you are bringing to a thread of good people who love their animals. I think you see things one way and only that way. What about the people who free range? Should they also just let their flocks get eaten up. What about the people who don't have 5 hens in their backyard but keep a real flock of 100. Are they supposed to just cut their losses and let things keep eating their animals. Newsflash we are the top of the food chain. Every year people go out and hunt dear, ducks ,geese etc.. just for sport. But killing one bird to protect your flock is wrong. I have to disagree with you. Of coarse rehoming a racoon or something like that is fine if you can but I don't think you can do that with a raven. I agree it should also be done humanely. But I do not agree your animals should have to be locked up day and night to accommodate a wild animal.

Back
Top Bottom