The Duck Thread

Hope u have better luck this time around! That's a lot to lose at once! I think it's really awesome u have penn state testing everything for u tho! Maybe that'll give u some kind of idea why they all died! It could've been the food or maybe they had something wrong with them from the get-go (some kind of illness or parasite maybe) or possibly contracted something during shipping...I don't know how far they had to travel but U mentioned it was colder then & birds in general r prone to getting pneumonia so maybe they got sick from temp fluctuations during their travel! It sounds like u did everything right tho (followed all of the instructions u were given)! Did the place that u got them refund any of ur money or replace any of them for u!?

They are completely replacing order shipping and all. I called them while they were dying trying to figure out what was wrong and I was pretty upset. Think she felt bad and was very nice. I hadn't lost a single chick yet and then lost so many at one time. It was very rough.

They are completely replacing order shipping and all. I called them while they were dying trying to figure out what was wrong and I was pretty upset. Think she felt bad and was very nice. I hadn't lost a single chick yet and then lost so many at one time. It was very rough.

I can imagine...that's traumatizing! That's great that they're replacing them tho!

I had the same thing happen here in Iowa. Bought my baby ducks and chicks from cackle and have lost all of them except for one :( so I had to go get her a friend so she isn't alone until this next week Thursday. Cackle is replacing mine as well, they were pretty understanding. Still hurt to lose so many, I lost 14 out of 15. Absolutely heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Tonight we were giving our Pekin ducks water. I have one that is a heavy breather so I have been keeping my eye on him. I gave them water from the garage spout. As he was drinking, all of a sudden he squealed and ran around crazy.. we were so scared and didn't know what to do. My husband then caught him and pixked him up, he calmed down after a few seconds. We thought maybe he had a brain freeze, maybe the water was too cold or could something floating in the water (like bedding) get suck in his beak hole. I replaced the water with luke warm water and he was fine after. Has this ever happened to anyone's ducks? It was very scary and we didn't know what to do!!
1f622.png

I have Pekins too & one of mine did something like that once but she was wanting to get in the water not drink it! It was really cold outside...the ground had several inches of ice on it so I had decided I'd give them some warm water thinking it might warm them up a little and the water I gave them was just lukewarm...she got excited that I had put water out and ran over to jump in and the minute she hit the water she flew out squawking, ran a few laps around it and tried again! She ended up doing that for a few minutes then she got in it and bathed as usual but it kinda freaked me out...all I could figure is that the tempature difference was too much on her feet after walking on ice all day! I don't know if that's what happened with urs tho since it was drinking cuz I give mine lukewarm water to drink when it's cold out and cold water when it's hot & never seen anything like that! They're funny birds tho! Maybe something just freaked it out or like u said maybe it just wasn't expecting the water to be that cold!

Hi everybody I am new to this forum my name is Alyssa and I'm from Minnesota and I have a question about ducks I have 6 baby duck that are going to hatch on the 3rd of April and are being mailed to me and each duckling is going to become a pet for me and my boyfriend and our 4 children. What do I need to know about having them as pets? We have to Jumbo Pekin and black Swedish we are very excited we have a baby starter kit that has feed and the baby diaper harnesses which diaper harnesses would you guys recommend after they are bigger or even now?

East Indies from Ideal. They were doing okay for a little bit. Only one little chick survived out of the batch. Hoping for better luck this week. It'll be warmer this time too.
I am so sorry that happened I would be devastated too. Happy for you they are replacing them though and coming very soon. East Indies are so tiny to begin with did you order the heat pac and gro gel?

Hi everybody I am new to this forum my name is Alyssa and I'm from Minnesota and I have a question about ducks I have 6 baby duck that are going to hatch on the 3rd of April and are being mailed to me and each duckling is going to become a pet for me and my boyfriend and our 4 children. What do I need to know about having them as pets? We have to Jumbo Pekin and black Swedish we are very excited we have a baby starter kit that has feed and the baby diaper harnesses which diaper harnesses would you guys recommend after they are bigger or even now?
@alyssa770 Welcome to BYC! here is some info and I am sure others can give you names of members who make the diapers and harnesses for our birds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Most of us have our ducks just for pets so your in good company.
smile.png

I have Pekins too & one of mine did something like that once but she was wanting to get in the water not drink it! It was really cold outside...the ground had several inches of ice on it so I had decided I'd give them some warm water thinking it might warm them up a little and the water I gave them was just lukewarm...she got excited that I had put water out and ran over to jump in and the minute she hit the water she flew out squawking, ran a few laps around it and tried again! She ended up doing that for a few minutes then she got in it and bathed as usual but it kinda freaked me out...all I could figure is that the tempature difference was too much on her feet after walking on ice all day! I don't know if that's what happened with urs tho since it was drinking cuz I give mine lukewarm water to drink when it's cold out and cold water when it's hot & never seen anything like that! They're funny birds tho! Maybe something just freaked it out or like u said maybe it just wasn't expecting the water to be that cold!

Just because duck birds are funny. Our welsh harlequin was in the pond the other day and something (fish?) must have tried to nibble on her toe because she jumped vertically out of the water then swam like hell the 3 ft to the shore! It was the funniest thing and I'm so glad me and my DH saw it. And so mad we didn't get video of it!

Just because duck birds are funny. Our welsh harlequin was in the pond the other day and something (fish?) must have tried to nibble on her toe because she jumped vertically out of the water then swam like hell the 3 ft to the shore! It was the funniest thing and I'm so glad me and my DH saw it. And so mad we didn't get video of it!
Both of these stories are cute and funny. It's why I love ducks so much even tho I don't have any.

Not to take away from how funny that probably looked and sounded,But are you sure you don't have snapping turtles? @EmilyP

Back
Top Bottom