The Duck Thread

He's 10 days old, will the bruise get lost several days or i have to treat him? The other duck is Mallard and i always see him bite the mallard one
smile.png
) except for when meal time the Mallard always scramble the food and peak his nostril thats why hes so thin
sad.png
Im heading home i'll take a picture later
At 10 weeks I'd let them eat as often as they want especially if one is under weight. When they are young they need lots of nourishment. You may just wait and watch your duckling with the bruised foot or try and do some warm water soaks and if you can get Epsom salt you could even try doing some compresses on the foot to help with healing but most of the time bruises go away on their own.

All my ducks are adults and I leave food out continually during the day so they can eat when they want.

Okay here is the part that my Appleyard lost his fur. I do see pin feather though at his tail but the neck isnt much
If i let the food in the brooder they will mess up and brooder get wet, im saving to buy them a pet brooder because in my place there arent any stuff to make a brooder (i have to uses boxes :() and the Mallard one always eat like starving eventho i put the food 24/24 so the Appleyard cannot eat much ...

Last edited:
I did loose the one EI but the other 4 and the one snowy mallard are doing well. I left the chicks in most of the night and when I left this morning around I saw two eating out of food container so I took chicks out right before I left. Right now I'm sitting in a tow truck because my alternator decided to quite half way on my 13 hr trip. Fun fun. I wish I had stayed home.

I did loose the one EI but the other 4 and the one snowy mallard are doing well. I left the chicks in most of the night and when I left this morning around I saw two eating out of food container so I took chicks out right before I left. Right now I'm sitting in a tow truck because my alternator decided to quite half way on my 13 hr trip. Fun fun. I wish I had stayed home.
Sorry about the car trouble. I am happy to hear they finally started eating and also sorry you lost the lil one.

Okay here is the part that my Appleyard lost his fur. I do see pin feather though at his tail but the neck isnt much
If i let the food in the brooder they will mess up and brooder get wet, im saving to buy them a pet brooder because in my place there arent any stuff to make a brooder (i have to uses boxes
sad.png
) and the Mallard one always eat like starving eventho i put the food 24/24 so the Appleyard cannot eat much ...
Mallard probably is sorta starving. You know if they were outside they would be foraging almost continually so not letting them have food and water all the time is sad. especially when young. I hope you can soon get them a brooder where they can have food and water all the time, yep ducks and messy it comes with having them as pets.

As for the down missing it is typical soon pin feathers will be coming in everywhere. But then again loss of down and not gaining weight can play a role too if they aren't getting proper nutrients. If boxes are plentiful just change them out every few days?

You could also try placing 2 food bowls with them and see if that helps but make sure they always have plenty of water deep enough to dunk their heads.

Last edited:

If i let the food in the brooder they will mess up and brooder get wet, im saving to buy them a pet brooder because in my place there arent any stuff to make a brooder (i have to uses boxes
sad.png
) and the Mallard one always eat like starving eventho i put the food 24/24 so the Appleyard cannot eat much ...
Baby ducks really need food 24/7.
Since they mess up the brooder, go to a furniture store and get large boxes (i.e., dresser, night stand or refrigerator box) they are free. Put plastic on the bottom, Put puppy pads over the plastic then put large chunk shavings in. You will still have to change it ever day or so, but it will make it manageable, plus they don't seem to outgrow the boxes so fast.
Good luck, I hope you can get your baby to gain weight.

celebrate.gif
For everyone's information!!!! News flash!!

I have been having trouble with my 4 Pekins getting in my flowerbed. They just destroyed it!!! Pulled new flowers out and dug holes to China!! I have tried for months to break them of messing with the bed, but no avail! It was just too yummy to them.

My husband got a high powered water gun that shoots a stream of water about 20 feet. I have used it once on them, I hate to say it but I nearly fell down laughing! There were wings flapping, feet scooting and LOTS of squawking going on when they got shot! BUT they have not gone back into the flowerbed, not once since then. It is amazing to me that they play in a pool, splash water everywhere, play in the rain, but ONE shot from the water gun and THE WORLD IS ENDING!!! I have now found a new way to discipline the ducks without hurting them!!! Yea!

:celebrate For everyone's information!!!! News flash!!

I have been having trouble with my 4 Pekins getting in my flowerbed. They just destroyed it!!! Pulled new flowers out and dug holes to China!! I have tried for months to break them of messing with the bed, but no avail! It was just too yummy to them. 

My husband got a high powered water gun that shoots a stream of water about 20 feet. I have used it once on them, I hate to say it but I nearly fell down laughing! There were wings flapping, feet scooting and LOTS of squawking going on when they got shot! BUT they have not gone back into the flowerbed, not once since then. It is amazing to me that they play in a pool, splash water everywhere, play in the rain, but ONE shot from the water gun and THE WORLD IS ENDING!!! I have now found a new way to discipline the ducks without hurting them!!! Yea!
Naughty birds.

:celebrate For everyone's information!!!! News flash!!

I have been having trouble with my 4 Pekins getting in my flowerbed. They just destroyed it!!! Pulled new flowers out and dug holes to China!! I have tried for months to break them of messing with the bed, but no avail! It was just too yummy to them. 

My husband got a high powered water gun that shoots a stream of water about 20 feet. I have used it once on them, I hate to say it but I nearly fell down laughing! There were wings flapping, feet scooting and LOTS of squawking going on when they got shot! BUT they have not gone back into the flowerbed, not once since then. It is amazing to me that they play in a pool, splash water everywhere, play in the rain, but ONE shot from the water gun and THE WORLD IS ENDING!!! I have now found a new way to discipline the ducks without hurting them!!! Yea!

Love your story. Good work mommy duck..;)

Back
Top Bottom