The Duck Thread

Yep looks like a fawn and white runner for sure
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png

X2 Quite an upright stance there.

Yeah it was at our local "everything store" (food, feed, home supplies, ECT) !

Do you go there often? If so you could ask what hatchery they use, that might cross out a few breeds.

Hello, duck people! I have had chickens for a while, but we became duck people this morning too when I picked up 10 welsh harlequin ducklings with 2 golden cascade packing peanuts at the post office this morning! I've been lurking for a while, but thought I should introduce myself since we're official now! I'm so excited! I have a bunch of better pics on my good camera, but this will have to do for now.

Hello, duck people! I have had chickens for a while, but we became duck people this morning too when I picked up 10 welsh harlequin ducklings with 2 golden cascade packing peanuts at the post office this morning! I've been lurking for a while, but thought I should introduce myself since we're official now! I'm so excited! I have a bunch of better pics on my good camera, but this will have to do for now.
ya.gif
So glad you joined us!
Im guessing you got from holderrreads?

Ahhhh so cute!!!!! The little guy staring at the camera in the bottom picture has a wee mask!
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

I mean...they all have masks. His is just extra cute
1f618.png

Last edited:
They're sooo cute. It's a good thing my feed stores can't keep em in stock long or I would have a duck math problem worse than the chicken math one I have.

It wuvs its mama

:gig Harsh love! When Hopscotch gets my lip, hr leaves it red lol

X2 Quite an upright stance there.
Do you go there often? If so you could ask what hatchery they use, that might cross out a few breeds.

Yeah, I go all the time. It's my favorite store. They get in a bunch of discounted food, so you can get things you couldn't find somewhere else, or it's EXTREMELY cheaper ;) I should ask :D They have now gotten rid of the area they sold the chicks and Ducklings :( I can probably ask the staff though.

You can check with weight also. With Pekins that should be a fairly good indicator. I cherry picked some points from https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085992/the-brooding-of-allie-casey-and-latte (shameless plug). Here is Allie at 14 days, she weighed just over a pound: Yours are definitely older than this. Here she is at 23 days (at 2-3/4 lbs). Note she has very pronounced feathers starting above her winglets. I am guessing your 'lings are a day or two shy of this because in the picture I can see the beginnings of those feathers, but not as pronounced as Allie here, but it may just be the picture. Here is Allie at 31 days (4-1/2 lbs) Here the beginning feather growth covers most of her body (although it isn't really feathers yet). She is a lot more white than yellow which also seems the case in your photos. So although she doesn't look much different between 23 and 31 days, her weight has gone up by nearly 65%, so I would get a weight if possible. A baby scale or a food scale works best for ducklings. From the weight I could give you a very close estimate.
Great! Thank you. I will do that and check back in. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom