The Duck Thread

What are yall's experience with call ducks? Are they good pets?

Does this answer your question?
1f602.png
Our two are definitely pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my welsh harlequins suddenly died. I found her this morning in the pen. The saddest thing is that she was in the brooding section (connected to the pen with the other ducks) and she was right next to the stuffed animal she always used to snuggle as a duckling. I can't help but blame myself. I keep trying to figure out what went wrong. There is no bullying that I see when I spend time with them inside or outside, there is enough food and water. But maybe she died from eating a poisonous plant? I know all the ducklings (tomorrow they will be 7 weeks) would nibble on my lilacs and my catnip plants. My boyfriend dug a little grave for her and I buried her with spring flowers. I know some people do biopsies on dead ducks, but I am too emotional. Is sudden death a common thing with ducklings? Does anyone know what I did wrong? A week or two ago she had some eye discharge but I hadn't seen it recently. Also, two days ago I introduced them to my six older female ducks (again, I didn't witness any bullying, the ducklings were more aggressive towards the older ducks anyway) If anyone has any ideas that will make me feel more at ease in anyway, I will be greatly appreciative.
1f61e.png

One of my welsh harlequins suddenly died. I found her this morning in the pen. The saddest thing is that she was in the brooding section (connected to the pen with the other ducks) and she was right next to the stuffed animal she always used to snuggle as a duckling. I can't help but blame myself. I keep trying to figure out what went wrong. There is no bullying that I see when I spend time with them inside or outside, there is enough food and water. But maybe she died from eating a poisonous plant? I know all the ducklings (tomorrow they will be 7 weeks) would nibble on my lilacs and my catnip plants. My boyfriend dug a little grave for her and I buried her with spring flowers. I know some people do biopsies on dead ducks, but I am too emotional. Is sudden death a common thing with ducklings? Does anyone know what I did wrong? A week or two ago she had some eye discharge but I hadn't seen it recently. Also, two days ago I introduced them to my six older female ducks (again, I didn't witness any bullying, the ducklings were more aggressive towards the older ducks anyway) If anyone has any ideas that will make me feel more at ease in anyway, I will be greatly appreciative.
1f61e.png
I have no idea what may have caused her death but I am very sorry for your loss.

@Miss Lydia
I fenced around my garden where the catnip was growing as a precaution. I hope it wasn't something she ingested but in the event at least the other ducklings can't get at the catnip plants anymore. I hope the rest of my little flock stays healthy and happy. They went in the large kiddie pool for the first time today!

@Miss Lydia
I fenced around my garden where the catnip was growing as a precaution. I hope it wasn't something she ingested but in the event at least the other ducklings can't get at the catnip plants anymore. I hope the rest of my little flock stays healthy and happy. They went in the large kiddie pool for the first time today!
Cat nip is poisonous to our birds.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/toxicfoods.html

Quick question! I have 2 Pekins about 7 weeks and a couple days old. I finished their outdoor house/run. The lowest night time temp this week is in the lower 40s. Are they ready for that yet?? They look fully feathered to me but these are my first ducks so I could be wrong.

Quick question! I have 2 Pekins about 7 weeks and a couple days old. I finished their outdoor house/run. The lowest night time temp this week is in the lower 40s. Are they ready for that yet?? They look fully feathered to me but these are my first ducks so I could be wrong.

They should be fine. I've had three week olds go out side all day at the temp (lower AL) with only a heat lamp at night. Seven week olds should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom