The Duck Thread

Quick question! I have 2 Pekins about 7 weeks and a couple days old. I finished their outdoor house/run. The lowest night time temp this week is in the lower 40s. Are they ready for that yet?? They look fully feathered to me but these are my first ducks so I could be wrong.

I would wait. The general rule of thumb is 90F the first week, dropping by 5F each week. 90 - 5x7 is 90 - 35, which is 55. Not saying they would not survive, but I feel that they are using so much energy growing right now that I would not want them to have to spend extra energy keeping warm.

Thank you both for the input. Maybe I'll bring them in at night the first few nights since we may be getting thunder storms. Lows in the 50s by the end of the week. I love my ducks but it's time to go outside. Too much stink and tiny feathers floating around the house!

I will share this before they start changing things. Had one baby make it. Had to go get a buddie for it. Got a Runner! Blue in color. Guess that's what you call the color.
The little black one was so strong so fast the next morning!
They sure love the water already. Man, I want to keep that little black one I hatched so bad. Just no place for a duck here. :(

Hello!

I went into our local feed store today, and there were 4 ~month old ducklings that have been there for a while and needed a good home. So, of course, they came home with me! We have only had pekin, Cayuga, and mallards, and I'm not sure of the breeds I picked up today. Not that it matters much to me, I'm just curious! I would really appreciate some help in discerning the breeds of our new additions
1f60a.png

Sorry that the pictures aren't the best, they weren't quite sure of their new environment, or of me. I'm sure they'll start to warm up soon and I can get better pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I went into our local feed store today, and there were 4 ~month old ducklings that have been there for a while and needed a good home. So, of course, they came home with me! We have only had pekin, Cayuga, and mallards, and I'm not sure of the breeds I picked up today. Not that it matters much to me, I'm just curious! I would really appreciate some help in discerning the breeds of our new additions
1f60a.png

Sorry that the pictures aren't the best, they weren't quite sure of their new environment, or of me. I'm sure they'll start to warm up soon and I can get better pictures.

Thanks in advance!

The 2 with eye stripes look like Rouens, the 2 blacks might be Cayuga or Swedish... *could be* Runners if they stay upright all the time, but to me the build doesn't look correct for that...

The 2 with eye stripes look like Rouens, the 2 blacks might be Cayuga or Swedish... *could be* Runners if they stay upright all the time, but to me the build doesn't look correct for that...

Thank you! The black ones have random white spots on them, so I wasn't quite sure if they could be cayugas. Our last Cayuga didn't have a speck of white anywhere!

Cayuga ducks can have white on them, not a big deal if they are not show ducks. They will also get more white as they get older. East Indies are black like the Cayuga too, but they are bantams. it will be interesting to see what your kids look like when they get more feathers. Do the black ones have bibs? That could be an indication that they are Swedish. :)

So my baby is about a month old. Seem like she is getting more and more needy as in we can't leave her alone. She screams every time I leave the room. And I'm literally only leaving to go potty. It's gotten worse and worse the older she gets. Just wondering if you guys have and advise about how to start leaving her alone and her not having her freak out because right now I take her everywhere with me.

So my baby is about a month old. Seem like she is getting more and more needy as in we can't leave her alone. She screams every time I leave the room. And I'm literally only leaving to go potty. It's gotten worse and worse the older she gets. Just wondering if you guys have and advise about how to start leaving her alone and her not having her freak out because right now I take her everywhere with me.
you need to get another duckling.

Back
Top Bottom