The Ducks verses the Chickens

If you are having trouble separating which duck is making a rasping instead of quacking, look at the base of the tail. See if one has a curly feather there. If one does that is your drake
Thanks for your help! I did a bit more research today in combination with everyone’s insight. The ducks and the chickens are separated! We were supposed to have all females. Turns out we have all males. What a nightmare for my hens!

Thanks for your help! I did a bit more research today in combination with everyone’s insight. The ducks and the chickens are separated! We were supposed to have all females. Turns out we have all males. What a nightmare for my hens!
Wow, what rotten luck.
But I am so glad you got it handled and separated them.

Wow, what rotten luck.
But I am so glad you got it handled and separated them.
Me too! The chicks seem a little unsettled with the change, but I think they will settle soon. The one that was in bad shape has stopped hiding and gave herself a good dirt bath today. As I write this I hear them announcing an egg was laid. I hope we will start seeing better consistency with their laying. We have been charting their egg laying behaviors all month as part of a project to teach graphing and graph types. Looks like it has turned into a research project now! How does safety impact egg laying? 🤔

Me too! The chicks seem a little unsettled with the change, but I think they will settle soon. The one that was in bad shape has stopped hiding and gave herself a good dirt bath today. As I write this I hear them announcing an egg was laid. I hope we will start seeing better consistency with their laying. We have been charting their egg laying behaviors all month as part of a project to teach graphing and graph types. Looks like it has turned into a research project now! How does safety impact egg laying? 🤔
Super interesting! Stress definitely has an impact on egg production so I would anticipate an increase for sure. Glad the shy one has stopped hiding too. Already some progress!

Super interesting! Stress definitely has an impact on egg production so I would anticipate an increase for sure. Glad the shy one has stopped hiding too. Already some progress!
The chickens have begun laying an egg every other day and 4 of the 6 are laying daily. The hen that was not doing great is making a good recovery. She has some PTSD though. They are all much calmer though. The ducks are upset, but they will just have to live with it!

The chickens have begun laying an egg every other day and 4 of the 6 are laying daily. The hen that was not doing great is making a good recovery. She has some PTSD though. They are all much calmer though. The ducks are upset, but they will just have to live with it!
I'm so glad to hear it. Thanks for the update! 🥰

We have a pair of pekins with our small ba kyard flock and it has gone well. The ducks are massive comparatively and know it. They usually leave the chicken's alone but the chicken's stay out of their way. We introduced a young hen to the flock and our female pekin grabbed her by the feathers and drug her into their pool. That was the only scuffle that I witnessed and must have been all it took to teach her to keep her distance. We got lucky with a pair and they are inseparable. We are about to add more chicks to the flock but will keep them physically separated until everyone gets to know each other. Best of luck and I'm glad to hear you figured out the problem!
20221123_114148.jpg

Two of the ducks have wandered off. I think they went to the local pond a couple of houses down. One is sticking around and guarding the chicks from outside the pen. Everyone is back to laying daily right now. Fingers crossed it continues!

Even with all females, my ducks hate the chickens so I’m separating them except for free ranging time when I’m out there with them. I think because my flock of nine lovely lady ducks is seven years established before I added a couple of Orpington pullets. They just hate them.

Two of the ducks have wandered off. I think they went to the local pond a couple of houses down. One is sticking around and guarding the chicks from outside the pen. Everyone is back to laying daily right now. Fingers crossed it continues!
Wait what do you mean they wandered off? Were they your ducks ? Or just strays that we’re visiting your yard?

Back
Top Bottom