The dumb question for the day..hehehehehe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wannabchick, Apr 4, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Rain water drums / barrel 100% ready to use

See that heading, I always see that, in or connected with poultry and live stock

What are they? what are they used for?? do people use water drums to store feed in too..

another words, whenever their is livestock- for sale..etc, you see for sale drums ... etc/

thank you everyone for educating this city chick.. gone Country

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Unless they specify that they are plastic, or poly tanks, they would usually be steel drums - 55 gallon types. Lots of people use them for burning trash out here in the country. [​IMG]

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I suppose some people might use them for feed, or storing other things in their barns/sheds that need to stay dry. I would only store feed or bedding in them if I thought they were mouse proof, depends on the cover I guess.

I would one as a rain barrel under a gutter to water my garden. I suppose you could use that for water for chickens, if you thought it fresh enough. I've been watching for some myself for rain barrels!

4. Robert Boyd

Robert Boyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My papa used to store all kinds of items in barrels, If you can get the lids and the bands with them, you can store almost anything in them:^}

5. friedkitty

friedkitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    South MS
    My wife got a 55 gallon plastic drum to make a composter out of. I'm not sure exactly how, but she's good with that kind of thing.

6. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    most of the time when you see drums/barrels advertised as 'rainwater' barrels, someone has already taken the time to put a spigot or faucet of some kind on it, and made an opening big enough at the top for a standard sized gutter downspout to fit into.

other wise it's just a barrel.

as long as the 'in' opening allows only water, there's no reason it wouldn't be fresh enough to water your chickens with it. lot of people use them for storing water for gardening and pets.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    100% ready to use means that they have added faucet to it and probably have it ready to use as a rain barrel, I use mine to water my seedling plants, but I know of people who water animals with the rain water as well.

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:PapaChaz explained it better!LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by