1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The EE Eggs I Won On A BYC Photo Contest Are Hatching! **PICS!**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dangerouschicken, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Some of you might remember, I won a half dozen EE eggs in a photo contest on BYC. Harley's Girl shipped them to me (+ 1) and I have been incubating them with some of my own flock's eggs for the past few weeks. My forays into candling have been difficult but interesting, and it seems I must have had a few viable ones because they are now popping out of their shells!

Last night, on Day 18, I removed the egg turner from the incubator, setting the eggs on a wire rack to let them hatch. I checked each egg for pips and there was nothing. I closed up the incubator for the night.

This morning, a baby chick greeted me from inside the incubator! It had pipped and zipped while I slept! A beautiful, fluffy, golden-yellow chick, just hours old, was peeping and hopping about, as perfect as miracles get. I promptly named the chick Harley, after Harley Girl's favorite rooster that passed away, and set up a brooder next to the incubator. I checked through the eggs again, and saw that one of my flock's eggs was rocking every so often, and that another of the EE eggs was zipping along one side. I could hear the chick pecking at the shell from inside! It is crazy!

So as I write here, another may hatch, and my eyes are wide open with amazement. I have known this would be exciting, but I am literally thrilled! The idea that in three weeks you can have new chicks to raise is still so new to me. I am used to purchasing them from the feed and seed or ordering them from hatcheries. This chick hatched itself! I can hardly take credit for any of it. Oh and God was there, too, I am sure of it. This little baby was too perfect for anything otherwise. So thank you, God, for watching over a miracle while I slept. Harley is the first of many more to come.

Here are the photos:

well who do we have here?
    [​IMG]

Harley!
    [​IMG]

Harley's eggshell!
    [​IMG]

And now Harley in the brooder with a Beanie Baby friend [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats to you! [​IMG] Harley is just the cutest!

I'm getting ready to set my second batch~~I just can't get over how exciting it it!

Hoping you have lots more!!

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    How cute, DC! It always amazes me and am awestruck whenever a healthy chick hatches.... Congratulations!

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks! I can't wait to go down and see if others are pipping or zipping yet.

Is it weird I am eating homegrown chicken as I type this? [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Nothing wrong with it in my book. We rehome our roos because the neighbors don't want us slaughtering in the yard [​IMG]

I LOVE watching chicks hatch. The whole incubation process is just magical to me. Some make it, some don't. Some have trouble hatching and some just erupt from their shells. Too cool.

Congrats on your new chickers!!

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww DC! S/he is so cute. Harley sure would be proud. I know I am!!!! I am so glad... no thrilled that they are hatching. Congrats to you!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love happy endings!!!!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Awwww... [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:I see your babies like a beanie baby too!! I leave it in until they are all hatched and bonded to each other...then throw it in the washing machine!!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Super cute!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by