The EE Eggs I Won On A BYC Photo Contest Are Hatching! **PICS!**

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
Some of you might remember, I won a half dozen EE eggs in a photo contest on BYC. Harley's Girl shipped them to me (+ 1) and I have been incubating them with some of my own flock's eggs for the past few weeks. My forays into candling have been difficult but interesting, and it seems I must have had a few viable ones because they are now popping out of their shells!

Last night, on Day 18, I removed the egg turner from the incubator, setting the eggs on a wire rack to let them hatch. I checked each egg for pips and there was nothing. I closed up the incubator for the night.

This morning, a baby chick greeted me from inside the incubator! It had pipped and zipped while I slept! A beautiful, fluffy, golden-yellow chick, just hours old, was peeping and hopping about, as perfect as miracles get. I promptly named the chick Harley, after Harley Girl's favorite rooster that passed away, and set up a brooder next to the incubator. I checked through the eggs again, and saw that one of my flock's eggs was rocking every so often, and that another of the EE eggs was zipping along one side. I could hear the chick pecking at the shell from inside! It is crazy!

So as I write here, another may hatch, and my eyes are wide open with amazement. I have known this would be exciting, but I am literally thrilled! The idea that in three weeks you can have new chicks to raise is still so new to me. I am used to purchasing them from the feed and seed or ordering them from hatcheries. This chick hatched itself! I can hardly take credit for any of it. Oh and God was there, too, I am sure of it. This little baby was too perfect for anything otherwise. So thank you, God, for watching over a miracle while I slept. Harley is the first of many more to come.

Here are the photos:

well who do we have here?
Harleyisborn.jpg

Harley!
Harley.jpg

Harley's eggshell!
Harleysegg.jpg

And now Harley in the brooder with a Beanie Baby friend
smile.png

Harleybrooder.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it in my book. We rehome our roos because the neighbors don't want us slaughtering in the yard
lau.gif

I LOVE watching chicks hatch. The whole incubation process is just magical to me. Some make it, some don't. Some have trouble hatching and some just erupt from their shells. Too cool.

Congrats on your new chickers!!

Back
Top Bottom