The egg was accidentally moved during lock down . . .

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Help! It is day 20 of incubation, and my clumsy sister came into my room and accidentally moved my incubator. I only have one egg in my incubator and the egg rolled over. There has been no pip yet, and it didn't get cracked when it rolled. Will this make it hatch late? Will it hatch at all?

Help! It is day 20 of incubation, and my clumsy sister came into my room and accidentally moved my incubator. I only have one egg in my incubator and the egg rolled over. There has been no pip yet, and it didn't get cracked when it rolled. Will this make it hatch late? Will it hatch at all?
Probably ok...be patient for a time.
Let us know.

It will most likely be okay.

When you hatch several eggs at a time the newly hatched babies flop and run all over all the other eggs and bump and roll them all over the place and they are okay, so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

At what stage did you determine they were not fertile? ...and how?
(for newbie learning)
I candled at day 7 and was pretty sure they weren't fertile, but left them until day 10 to make sure. Then I left them in the paddock. The eggs looked weird when I candled, you could see the outline of a circle (I think the yolk cooked). I am new to incubating too, and next time I'll incubate more eggs. Also, I should have probably thrown them out at day 7, I was very lucky they didn't explode!
PS: Sorry if this message comes to you at a weird time, I'm Australian and it is a different time zone here.

Eggs won't explode unless they are rotten. From what you describe it was probably a blood ring, which means they were fertile but didn't develop. Turning the egg won't hurt it at all, you have nothing to be worried about. I sometimes don't put eggs into hatching trays until some start to hatch, and have been hatching eggs for 16 years.

Eggs won't explode unless they are rotten. From what you describe it was probably a blood ring, which means they were fertile but didn't develop. Turning the egg won't hurt it at all, you have nothing to be worried about. I sometimes don't put eggs into hatching trays until some start to hatch, and have been hatching eggs for 16 years.
Curious...what % of hatching do you normally achieve?
Do you clean eggs with H Peroxide before incubation or........listerene/other?
How many times in the hatching process do you candle...and at what stage (days)?
What is your biggest go to item to do ......for top hatching %?
How many do you normally hatch per year?
Many thanks

Thank you for the advice! I don't think it was a blood ring, as it wasn't around the inside of the shell and I couldn't see any blood.

Back
Top Bottom