The eggs are here!

Quote:
i will its gonna be a long wait until next saturday lol thats when i find out if they are fertile,
the egg candler i bought was very expensive its a high intensity candler especially for duck eggs so it should be really easy to tell if they are fertile or not

..... 8 days to go!​

I just took my eggs into a dark room and put a white light flash light at the end...I was able to tell at day 5 with no problems. No candler box no expensive contraption...just a plain old flash light...just FYI

Quote:
i will its gonna be a long wait until next saturday lol thats when i find out if they are fertile,
the egg candler i bought was very expensive its a high intensity candler especially for duck eggs so it should be really easy to tell if they are fertile or not

..... 8 days to go!​

I just took my eggs into a dark room and put a white light flash light at the end...I was able to tell at day 5 with no problems. No candler box no expensive contraption...just a plain old flash light...just FYI

wish id have known before i paid £35
sad.png

i keep thinking i need to convert currency from sterling to dollars coz most forum members are in US
big_smile.png

not to rub it in any more
hide.gif
but thats why its called candling. Before all the fancy schmancy things they would put the eggs to candles...not exactly high tech. I am only about a week a head of you...ive never had ducks before and mine have been in the incubator for 6 days. Just check the forums. there are lots of cheap inventive ways of doing things on here that if you read about it youll find it. For example...scouring craigs list for free lumber and fencing...I would never have thought of that. I never even knew craigs list had a free section.

Quote:
how much water do you put into the water chambers? i fill 1 so the water level is just below the line, and i dont have any water going over the divider, im also gonna mist them daily... oh that reminds me.....

when should i start misting them? right away ie day 2 which is tomorrow or wait a few days?

I don't mist. All I did was fill one part of the water tray. When it comes to lockdown I will fill both trays.

Also, with candling, I just use a mini maglight. It works well. Maybe you can return your expensive one?

Quote:
how much water do you put into the water chambers? i fill 1 so the water level is just below the line, and i dont have any water going over the divider, im also gonna mist them daily... oh that reminds me.....

when should i start misting them? right away ie day 2 which is tomorrow or wait a few days?

I don't mist. All I did was fill one part of the water tray. When it comes to lockdown I will fill both trays.

Also, with candling, I just use a mini maglight. It works well. Maybe you can return your expensive one?

thats what i did (fill one part of the tray) and when i had the hygrometer in with one part of the tray full i was getting a humidity reading of about 65%

the plus side is that when the egg tray comes out during the hatching period i can put the hygrometer back in!

Back
Top Bottom