The Eldridge Girls

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by emmaie892000, Dec 22, 2013.

1. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    I'm starting the thread for my girls everyday life! Issues, pictures, and stories included! I will be posting even more often on their very own instagram page: thechickies Follow if you have an instagram! I'll start with indroductions and coop pictures, up next!

2. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG]

I bring to you my girls! White one is Cora, an Easter Egger. Kiwi, the brown one, I believe all you can see is her butt, is also a sweet Easter Egger. Eagle is the barred rock, highest in the pecking order, or so it seems, and last and biggest, Ginger is the Buff Orpington. I will be posting close ups and personal stories later!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Very colorful flock you have there! Pretty hens!

4. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG]
    This is Eagle, my Barred Rock. Her story with me goes back much longer than the others. Long before I wanted chickens, my neighbors had coops. Chris hatched babies within months of first getting chickens, and he was a bit overloaded. The Carr's, who had a coop, took 3 of the already feathered adolescent babies. The children in this family are all younger than 12 and they each claimed a chicken as their own. Ricky owned Hawk, Colby owned Ostrich, and Sierra owned a chick younger than the others that she got from somewhere else. Eagle was me and my brothers chicken, and we were campaigning to but or build a coop to keep her at our house. Before we knew it, Sierra's chick drowned in an overturned bucket. She wanted to claim Eagle. Long story short, after lots of arguing and us getting a coop, Eagle was still ours. Alone. We got the others (different story) and Eagle just would not leave Cora alone. She pecked her comb so much, its smooth now from scar tissue. She has relaxed he hold though, now that the pecking order has been established, and they all live in harmony. Eagle is the oldest chicken in our small flock, and she laid her first egg just last week. Brown and beautiful, not to mention delicious. She has just started doing the little submission bow, and she loves to stand in the middle of the food pan when they all eat together. She has a huge personality, and she's a sweet chicken overall. Next up...CORA!

5. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG] here's Cora! After Eagle was settled in a bit, we got Kiwi, Ginger, and Cora. Cora was the last one in, the smallest, and shortly after being introduced, got sick. Eagle pecked her comb, and almost every night she would hide somewhere other than the coop. Her eye got goopy, we later learned from a respiratory infection, and we would take her in every night to clean her eye and give her medicine. She got stronger quickly, and learned to respect Eagle, because we handled her so much and brought her inside so often, Cora is more closely bonded with us than the others. She allows herself to be picked up easier, and is sweeter and more bold around us. When Eagle used to chase her, she would run for the house, which meant safety. She is more distant now, since she is healthy and has learned to stand up for herself. She still is the smallest, and she still has huge amounts of character with her ear tufts and irregular colors. She's a sweetheart!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG] This is Kiwi. She is kinda skittish, so the picture isn't great. Better ones will come later. :) Kiwi had always been the wild, skittish one. We got her from our neighbor, Keith, and it took a while to trap her just to get her to our house! She goes flying across the guard to catch up with the others, and she is more guarded than the others when it comes to human contact. She is an Easter Egger like Cora, with crazy ear tufts. She has the most beautiful feather color and her eyes are incredible. I really do need to post a picture of them. She doesn't really participate in the pecking order, nobody messes with her, she doesn't mess with anybody. I love her for her beauty, not for the love she returns XD

7. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG] Last one! Ginger! Ginger is my biggest girl, she's a Buff Orpington. She is very sweet, with a beautiful face. She is incredibly gentle and caring, and something tells me she would make a really good mother. She would be the highest in the pecking order if she wanted, but she just let's eagle take control. When we first got her, she would always sleep in this one tree instead of the coop! It took us FOREVER to break her of that habit! She looks HILARIOUS when she runs, with her fat body bobbing along! She also is incredibly photogenic! Model status! So that's it for introductions, I'll post often about day to day life with these sweet girls for you guys out there!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Wonderful stories about your chickens! They really do enrich our lives. Thanks for sharing!

9. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    They really do. They make me healthier with their free range eggs, and I can never stay angry or sad for long!

1 person likes this.
  10. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    [​IMG]
    Ginger laid her first egg this morning! So happy to have two bout of four laying!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by