The elusive blue egg!

We have always wanted blue eggs but our luck has not been good.
We got 2 pure bred Amerucana hens from a small animal swap about 4 years ago.
One of them died 2 weeks after we got it home it was young like 3 or 4 months old.
The other was sold to us as a full grown hen but under 1 year old.
Come to find out it was a really old hen that was a "Spent layer"

We decided to give up on blue egg layers and just brown egg layers after that.
Well last spring after 4 years of only brown layers we decided to give it a shot again and got some pure bred black and blue Amerucanas from a local breeder.
It has been a bad experience because that breeder sold us straight run chicks most were cockerels, 4 died of health problems and 1 ended being the wrong breed.
We ended up with 2 black Amerucana pullets that have made it to adulthood from that breeder.
One is about 5.5 months and the other is around 8.5 months old.
Neither of them lay eggs.
We have 2 other 5 month old blue and black Amerucana pullets from a different breeder.
They don't lay yet either.
We have 5 month old Spanish Penedesenca and leghorn pullets that started to lay last week.
The 8.5 month old black Amerucana is a big slacker...lol
I check everyday for a blue egg.. Hoping... Waiting....
The elusive blue egg!
This seems like WAY more trouble than it should be. Why not just buy sexed chicks from a hatchery?

If you don't mind educating me a bit on this - what about Meyer hatchery's Ameraucanas is not preferred? In case I want to get one in the future.
Cackle used to be the only one with true Am's, stock came from John Blehm and were only available straight run. They now offer st or f or m.
Not surprising that other hatcheries now have some.
I expect the quality to have been reduced.
Meyers are pricey.

This seems like WAY more trouble than it should be. Why not just buy sexed chicks from a hatchery?
Yes it was a hassle dealing with straight run.
The breeder we got our pure bred Amerucanas from only lives 5 miles from us so it was convenient.
The breeder only charges $4 per chick and that's a good price for the pure bred Amerucanas.
The issues are she messes up orders by mixing up breeds, high rooster to hen ratios and her lines have alot of genetic health issues.
My wife and I have decided the next time we want blue layers were going to pay the extra money and get cream crested legbars.
They are auto sexing and from what I have heard better layers than Amerucanas.

Back
Top Bottom