The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
I have a mixed flock...various breeds barred rocks, cream legbars, welsummers and several more

In early October I purchased five chicks 8-12 weeks old (approx). I already had ten birds from last April living outside in their coop. I kept the new ones separate in my basement (complete with air and heat). One got sick within days. After a vet visit, then a symptom free period, that bird and another got sick. I lost both but not before sending results to Zoologix where it was determined they were free from everything but Infectious Coryza.

The three remaining appear healthy and lively. I assume they are carriers of Coryza none the less. I do not want to cull (I don't have the heart). I can't keep them in my basement for much longer either. I am planning on getting the "killed" Coryza vaccine. I intend to give all 13 chickens this vaccine and hope for the best.

I get that this is probably more risky than culling the babies, but I am thinking that if I keep a closed flock than this should be acceptable. I keep chickens primarily as a hobby, they are basically my pets.

I am having difficulty finding some information about the vaccine, such as its success rate when birds are introduced to suspected carriers. Also, it said no withdraw period, I think this means you can eat the eggs the same day the vaccine is administered? That doesn't seem right. Also, it says to dispose of unused vaccine after administration. Does this mean I have to get two bottles (more than $50 each) so I can re-vaccinate in four weeks as recommended?

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or experience?

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock...various breeds barred rocks, cream legbars, welsummers and several more

In early October I purchased five chicks 8-12 weeks old (approx). I already had ten birds from last April living outside in their coop. I kept the new ones separate in my basement (complete with air and heat). One got sick within days. After a vet visit, then a symptom free period, that bird and another got sick. I lost both but not before sending results to Zoologix where it was determined they were free from everything but Infectious Coryza.

The three remaining appear healthy and lively. I assume they are carriers of Coryza none the less. I do not want to cull (I don't have the heart). I can't keep them in my basement for much longer either. I am planning on getting the "killed" Coryza vaccine. I intend to give all 13 chickens this vaccine and hope for the best.

I get that this is probably more risky than culling the babies, but I am thinking that if I keep a closed flock than this should be acceptable. I keep chickens primarily as a hobby, they are basically my pets.

I am having difficulty finding some information about the vaccine, such as its success rate when birds are introduced to suspected carriers. Also, it said no withdraw period, I think this means you can eat the eggs the same day the vaccine is administered? That doesn't seem right. Also, it says to dispose of unused vaccine after administration. Does this mean I have to get two bottles (more than $50 each) so I can re-vaccinate in four weeks as recommended?

I'm not an expert on vaccines, but my thoughts would be to contact your vet to see if they have any opinion. Also contact the manufacturer of the specific vaccine you are purchasing. They should have research on success rates, effectiveness, etc.

Now, you already have confirmed Infectious Coryza in the chicks. So you want to ask whether or not to vaccinate them. They are already carriers. This is a question that hopefully the vet/manufacturer can answer.

Edited to note:
A quick search through some of my resources shows that there are different "strains" if you will. So vaccine may not give complete protection, but may lessen symptoms (reduce severity of the illness). So if you can get more information on which "strain" your chicks have, you may have a better chance in getting the correct vaccine to treat your other chickens.

It's possible that your adults may still contract the illness, so when contacting the manufacturer, write down any questions you can think of so you don't forget them. Will be interested in what they have to say. I agree information on vaccines is hard to find and can be quite confusing.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...verview_of_infectious_coryza_in_chickens.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/

Last edited:

when I put new chickens with my flock I give them baytril in water for 3 days (baytril 10%, 13 drops in 1l of water). it works well. if there are some carriers baytril helps that they don't get sick and I guess the carriers work like vaccine - the chickens are exposed to the disease as they are with vaccines.

Does anyone know the symptoms of wet pox? I thought I read they have a lot of mucus and sneezing when they are affected. Mine have dry pox and I'm streseed it will turn into wet. Is that possible? Or is it caused by something entirely different? I can't find very much information online. My whole flock has gotten pox in a week even though I read that it spreads slow. Is that good or bad? I'm hoping it means they will recover faster. Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Does anyone know the symptoms of wet pox? I thought I read they have a lot of mucus and sneezing when they are affected. Mine have dry pox and I'm streseed it will turn into wet. Is that possible? Or is it caused by something entirely different? I can't find very much information online. My whole flock has gotten pox in a week even though I read that it spreads slow. Is that good or bad? I'm hoping it means they will recover faster. Thanks in advance for any help

they will recover faster. just check their mouth and if you see cheesy staff clean it - make sure they don't swallow it. give them some black peppercorns it will help to dry scabs faster. I gave my chicks peppercorns with their feed.

Ok, thank you
smile.png

Can if turn into wet pox when they have dry?

it can but if mild case than usually it does not. watch their eyes too, if the scabs are near the eyes it gets wet and can be dangerous. you can put some iodine on the scabs and a drop of iodine under their tongue too.

it can but if mild case than usually it does not. watch their eyes too, if the scabs are near the eyes it gets wet and can be dangerous. you can put some iodine on the scabs and a drop of iodine under their tongue too.

Ok, I was trying to keep iodine on their comb but I haven't in a few days with Thanksgiving and everything. I was just really busy but I will try to be better and do that everyday again. I have them on antibiotics and vitamins and will probably deworm them. Because I read that having worms can really burden their immune system when they're sick. I might try the black pepper too. Is that pretty much all I can do?

Ok, I was trying to keep iodine on their comb but I haven't in a few days with Thanksgiving and everything. I was just really busy but I will try to be better and do that everyday again. I have them on antibiotics and vitamins and will probably deworm them. Because I read that having worms can really burden their immune system when they're sick. I might try the black pepper too. Is that pretty much all I can do?
that's all. they don't need antibiotics unless they get some secondary infections. just watch them.

Back
Top Bottom