The evils of NAIS

dichotomymom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Dayton Indiana
I've been to the actual NAIS website and I've seen the hundreds of anti-NAIS websites. Who really knows what is going on and do you think their regulations for chipping are every going to be passed?

The NAIS's ultimate goal is to be able to track all livestock via "chips" like the kind people use now in their dogs. The chipcs will contain the info about the animal and would have satalite tracking capabilities.

And, yes, I think if they can get a more people on board voluntarily then they will have the ammo to go to congress and make the bill mandetory compliance for all people who have livestock - pet or otherwise.

In time yes how mutch time is anyones guess tho. Mine is a very long time while the idea in theroy is a good one or could be a good one there are many many problems to work out. I have very mixed feeling about this. If the guy next to me brings in a bad flock or bad herd i would like to know and have quick info espical if one of us sell one to you or anyone else. It can be used to quickly track problems with speed and may prevent an outbreak and that is going to be the selling point every time there is a mess up in the food chain accidental or other wise the case gets stronger (help protect us form ourselfs) for the most part no one wants to cause an outbreak and that is not the problem. Problem is when and you all know some one like this does not belive in a disease or that it cant happen to thelm and they dont protect there flock or herd and if it does happen to thelm they dont belive it is anyones business esp. the goverment and things spread quickly out of controll. As of now i do not belive that it will work and hope we never have to have or wish we had a NAIS. In time it will come tho.

I'm more optimistic that NAIS will not be implemented. However, preventing its adoption will require a fight, and not a "gee I hope not", or "it will probably happen eventually anyway" attitude. People are far to complacent when it comes to the loss of their freedom and submitting to over zealous government intrusion. Just wait though, if HR 875 passes you will have federal inspectors walking around your yard or farm, examining your records, inquiring about your practices ..... and failure to let them conduct their warrantless search could result in a $1,000,000.00 fine, and even forfeiture of property.

Well, NAIS really has nothing to do with disease (think, practically, how on earth a number will fight disease? It will only tell them where the local flocks are when some factory farm gets some disease that spreads like wildfire because of the monoculture and they know whose backyard flocks get to die, sick or not). It's mainly about foreign markets and big agri-biz. It will cost you--when is stuff like this ever free?

This is a possible scenario for you to consider. It may not go exactly this way, but from what I've read, it's possible. I have a Tyson guy a few miles down the road from me. Say, a wild bird flies in through the big sliding door on their metal building. It has some form of avian disease and is trapped in the bldg up high, probably unnoticed at least for awhile. The doors are opened, the bird either flies out or is already dead among the birds he's raising. When the disease is caught and reported, depending on what it is, the kill zone is established and all the flocks within a certain range are killed without testing (they do not have to test to determine if these flocks are infected--after all, to them, time is of the essence and that takes too much time).

Were my chickens several miles away up on the mtn ever exposed? Highly unlikely. Do they care that I am raising highly endangered heritage breeds that are not easily replaced or even irreplacable? NO. A chicken is a chicken is a chicken in this case. And it's irrelevant that they are not ill or even exposed--they were in the kill zone, period.

So, how is my premises number assigned to me by the USDA going to help anything? It won't. It will however protect the financial interests of big agri-biz. And help wipe out my own ability to feed my family. Next thing you know, we'll have to be asking, "Please sir, may I put a tomato plant on my deck??"

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Thank you. Very well stated!

Last edited:
NAIS specifically exempts backyard flocks whose poulty never leave the site except by the occassional "escape".

Word of warning, folks - NAIS threads get shut down faster than a broody hen can peck your hand. Let's keep this civil, and perhaps even change the title.

Back
Top Bottom